What would you do

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CS Lawns, Mar 12, 2002.

1. CS Lawns

CS Lawns LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Just found out a very good customer of mine has passed away, had a massive heart attack yesterday while out of town. A young guy approx 45 years old, left behind is his wife and older kids who live out of town.

I feel bad and went to visit her tonite. Part of me feels like giving her free service the other part of me says no. She lives close to me and I did tell her to call me anytime if she needed anything at all.

What would you guys do??

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i would give her a discount of somesort. and if times get tough for her give her breaks but explai to her that free for a few times doesn't mean for the rest of time you will service the account

3. YLC1

YLC1 LawnSite Member

Maybe you could do a quick "spring cleanup" in preparation for friends and family coming by the house.Do this so as to not disturb the family if at all possible.I've done this in the past just to try to take the worry of appearance off the family.When payment was offered I politely refused.Just my approach to a difficult situation.Richard

4. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Send her a card, if it is pay by service then cut it and not worry about getting paid, if it is a monthly keep up the service as usually.

5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Free service... why? Discount.. maybe

I would continue with service as usual. If she tells you she doesn't think she can afford you any longer.. then ask if a discount (~10%) would help.

6. Tim Canavan

Tim Canavan LawnSite Member
    from Houston

:mad:
    larry, you are a bonafide idiot. I hope the kick you off of the site. On second thought, if they don't then we will all still have someone to call an idiot.

I think the idea of a clean up before relatives get into town is a great idea. The refusal of payment and everything. Don't go crazy though. It's a nice touch in time of need and they will remember and tell people about it. Don't do it unless you mean it. Otherwise it defeats the purpose.

7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Tim, as you know Stone is above the rules it seems, I can't believe that post has been allowed to stay.

As for the topic I would take the time to make sure the lawn is looking great, as for free service probably not. We are a service just as any other; the problem is we develop a more personal relationship due to frequent visits. No other services offer free service why should you, remember, you have bills also.

I would attend the funeral, do your best to continue service as before, and if you feel this is a burden on her or you feel you can take a little off the price then do so, thatÂ’s your call.

8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I recently had this happen to me. The husband died of cancer (age 42) and his wife told me she could no longer afford my service. I feel bad now that I just said "ok thats fine" and discontinued service. They were on a monthly contract and I didn't charge her for that month of mowing but when I look back on it I think maybe I should have done more. She has two teenage sons so I assume they are cutting it now. I drive by every now and then on my way to other jobs and the lawn looks pretty good. We did attend the memorial service. It was very sad.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Do What YLC1 Said. Johnny G.:cool: :cool:

10. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

I would offer free service ( for 90 days) with the stipulation she 1. did not tell a soul. 2. Refer several people my way. If they came on board and signed a contract I'd consider giving her a long term discount of some sort. Have to think through what that might be.

Done this in the past and always picked up someone very close by so that it was worth my while.

Think about it. Here is a widow who will ALWAYS remember how you offered practical help when she was not able to think clearly. There is no doubt she will pass on good will to your business.

Cordially,
    Sheppard