1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

what would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sea ox, Jun 17, 2009.

1. sea ox

sea ox LawnSite Member

What if you pulled up to mow a customers lawn and it had a job sign from another landscaping company stuck in the ground? This is a nice corner lot on a busy road and definitely did not have any work done by this company. How about if you showed up to mow a customers lawn and there was a full color flyer rubber banded to your customers mailbox?? I removed them both but i know it wasn't the most professional thing to do.. BUT isn't it illegal to put things on mailboxes and stick job signs on random peoples properties??

2. LBLC_LCO

LBLC_LCO LawnSite Senior Member

I would have pulled the sign if on the property, probably would have left the mailbox alone. I've mowed some of my customers properties and there were fliers from other companies on the door, I left them, I'm not worried. But a sign in a yard that is not yours is uncalled for.

3. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i would of run the sign right down with my mower and blew all the shredded pieces into the street:laugh: actually i would toss it in the bed of my truck and toss it when i got home. the fliers dont bother me too much

4. TREEGUARD

TREEGUARD LawnSite Senior Member

I would have taken the sign from the lawn & thrown it away as for the flyer if i see someone elses flyer in customers mail box i take that too.

F that guy the flyer is usually for like 18 to 20 bucks a week

5. CrewKut

CrewKut LawnSite Member

Turnabout is fair play.

Scenario #1
    Remove the sign and toss it in the back of the truck. In the course of your travels, I'm sure that you drive past some foreclosed properties. I'll even wager that some of those properties have been neglected for some time now. I would find the nastiest looking overgrown property and firmly plant said sign right there where everyone will see it.

Scenario #2
    Remove sign and toss in back of truck. While driving something other than your company truck (don't forget to bring the sign), find a similarly neglected but occupied property. Stop and offer the resident an unbelievably incredible deal on full service lawn care. I mean mowing, fert, bed install, a complete lawn makeover, if they will only allow you the privilege of placing your company sign there. Plant the sign and say goodbye.

Sorry, I was just thinking out loud. I would never really recommend doing these things. No not me. Thumbs Up

Dan

6. SfTD_service_CENTER

SfTD_service_CENTER LawnSite Senior Member

i had this guy put a sign up while i was mowing and actually got in my way to do it, it wasnt a landscaper but a political bulogna thing, any way he put it in and i pulled it right back out he looked at me funny and i just yelled over the mower dont get in my way again! lol people have alot of nerve!

7. just4funthen

just4funthen LawnSite Member

Depends on what mood I was in. But I would go a etra mile and do a little research on the owner of the company. Then make a similar sign and put it on his from yard. See what he does, if he takes it down promtly (most likely) then call him up and say not to do it to your properties.

8. Perfect Image TLM

Perfect Image TLM LawnSite Senior Member

I yank them out every time.

9. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I normally will just take the signs down and a lot of times I will use them as home made disposable mulch kits...

10. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

i would throw the sign in the yard of the guy who put it there