What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chuck Sinclair, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

I have an employee that earns about $800.00 a month from me, he has done a lot of time in prison and not been around much. Today I get a letter from the local Da's office telling me that I have to send $650.00 a month of his wages to them for child support.
    Then I get one from another county saying I have to send them $75.00 a month of his pay, so now he is out $725.00 and so far the biggest check he has seen was $470.00 in 2 weeks

Here's the problem if I tell him now he will either quit or want the day off and I can't have that right now ( I have two jobs to finish) should I tell or wait until Tuesday when the jobs are done.

I am leaning toward waiting.
    :confused:

2. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Cut your losses tell him today,there must be someone out there better than him to work for you.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I agree with Jim.

This is not the kind of man we would want working for our small company. It's a shame, because he may be reformed. But a small company shouldn't be taking chances on a man that has done a lot of time in jail.

4. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

i disagree just because he has done jail time doent mean you dont want him working for ya . we all did stupid **** when we were young some of us got caught some us didnt im lucky i never got in trouble when i was young but i could have easy.
    i would tell him im sure he will quit cuz whats the use of working if you arent gunna get a pay check is most guys thinking that are in this boat. i know he needs to take responsablity for his kid and pay child support but taking almost all a mans wages is not gunna get him to pay it. ive seen alot of guys qiut there jobs and move on just for that reason

5. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Folks,

The DA wants child support not Bail money. This worker has a domestic child care dilemna.

He will want to find a cash type pay structure when he finds out (Im sure he is aware) he has been found.

6. John from OH

John from OH LawnSite Member

Oh the joys of being an employer. You have to make the call on whether the employee is worth keeping. If he is worth keeping, I believe you need to check on his child support calculations. There are limits as to how much can legally be taken for child support. Off hand, I think it is about 55% of his net pay. There is also an additional percentage that can be taken for arrearages. My BIL had this problem. Child Support Services and the courts are supposed to keep track of all these payments and keep you informed as to how much you can legally deduct. This percentage is usually buried in the fine print of the support order.

7. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

Surround your self with only the best. Teach your self a lesson here, or at some point he will be teaching you. Termination costs a lot less, later it will cost you $$$$.

8. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe there has been good advice given here. One thing you need to do is consider that he might continue to work for you. Is he that good of an employee that you wish to give him a chance? I am all for giving every body a second chance, but you do need to be careful having some body around that has a record.

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i would want to know what he did time for. then i would work him only if i thought it was in the best interest of your custmers and yourself. hes paid that debt,so i might give as many breaks as i could ,if i trust him.
    now payin child support,shouldnt be a question. im very glad these people are finally having to meet the responcibilities
    they took on when they made the baby.
    enough have to pay and it might be the best birth control pill ever invented.
    no offence intended ,unless u are ducking responcibility for a child somewhere. that case i hope u are offended.

10. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

I have been thinking about getting rid of ham any way (He partys too much) and then dosent work worth **** i just don't want him to take a hike before these job are complete. After that i can work it out.

BTW he has done 24 years on and off for selling drugs and as far as chances go with me he is on his third strike, and is gone anyway if he screws up.