What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 021462, Nov 16, 2002.

1. 021462

021462 LawnSite Member

Leaves to the curb. Your city picks up leaves at curb, and money was a issue would you invest in a bagging system (TORO ZTR) or use back pack and wheel blower and tarp to get the job done?

Reason I ask is I have ran into a problem with fences and wet yards to put a big mower in. Also a bagger for my mower would cost around $2400.00 installed. If you can't get the mower in the yard what good is the bagger? This year the city decided to pick up grass and leaves at the curb, so that hekps out tremedously.

FYI........None of my customers require me to bag grass in the summer either.

Just wondering your thoughts on this delima.

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

The truth is that many of the people who hire aservice to keep their properties clean either [A] have a neigbor who doesnt - so leaf removal is basically mute (LOL!!!) or dont have their contractors coming on the same day as their neighbors so leaf removal is yet again a mute point.

If you can stack them at the curb and the clients not going to cancel services then by all means do so!!! If material must be removed you might want to concentrate on whatever means are necessary to keep the curbs clean.

3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I would do exactly what will make the customer happy. It sounds to me like blowing the leaves to the curb will work for you. The cheapest way to do that is a blower and some tarps to drag the piles to the curb.

4. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

I use the push blower method and tarps and it works great for us. I bought my Little Wonder instead of a vac for my Exmark so it sounds like I was in the same boat as you.

5. 021462

021462 LawnSite Member

Yeah, I have a Billy Goat wheel blower that I will be using and I think it will work for me. If I were to buy a bagging system I think I would buy another mower to mount it on and leave it mounted just for this reason.

Thanks guys.

6. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

I am having my welder friend make me a carrier for my push blower b/c the carrier on the internet are a little high for my liking. I think it will save my some energy and definetly be faster.

7. MWS LAWN

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

If I was to just buy a mower to pick-up leaves ( off of grass areas plus pavement) would a walker be the way to go, and if so which model? We run Exmark and J.D. ZTR's so speed I would not care as much about. It would be used mostly in the fall and maybe to cut some "island areas" at commercial sites. Thanks for the input.

8. dukester

dukester LawnSite Member

A Walker is the only way to go. Get one with a deck that let you get into your jobs. Until you use one you won't believe how good they are. Our mower get us more jobs than the $60.00 add we run ever month. I've had cars back up in the street and watch us. And get the # off of the truck. Wet leaves or dry it doesn't matter. ;)

9. MWS LAWN

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

dukester, will they pull up the leaves on the pavement? What do walkers cost, like I said I would not need the biggest because we service big commercial properteis and this will not be our "main" mowers. What would you expect to pay for one a few years old with somewhere between 16 - 20 h.p. and 40 - 50 in. deck? thanks

10. I look for any opportunity to make the move from "laborer" to "equipment operator" It just seems to pay better.

If you have enough work to even consider purchasing the vac system, you should go for it.

If you wait for your operation to absolutely require the vac, it'll never happen. Because it's really hard to sell a service you don't have.

Last fall I bought a core aerator and didn't have one job for it. My wife asked "What did you buy that for?' I told her ,"Because I'm goinng to sell people core aeration.
    It earned it's price the first week.

It worked out so well, that in a couple of months, I bought a topdresser. But this time my wife didn't second guess my decision.

This is just my take on how to do business. Of course it only really works if you get behind your decision and make it work. If you just want to buy something you like, or think it would be nice to own, do like everyone else and buy a new pickup truck.:D

Dave