What would you do?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CNYScapes, Jul 5, 2014.

1. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

Here is the situation, give me your thoughts.

Moving to a new area down south. Dont really know anyone so starting from scratch. Pretty dense area with decent incomes and home values.

Would you-

Buy an existing business with at least 1 route to get started?
    Lets hypothetically say the business accounts are $25K

or

Spend that $25K advertising, web, adwords, postcards, doorhangers, angies list?

2. crusty_crab80

crusty_crab80 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alaska

Do it all yourself. Be a pioneer. Create your own name, brand and reputation. If the quality is there the work will come.

Just offer deals your 1st year. No need to advertise

3. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

start out fresh

4. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

As cheap as people sell these routes I would buy a small one to establish a market presence and grow fom there.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. CNYScapes

This is what my initial thoughts are. If I can find one for a decent price. That way I will have immediate income. Problem is the ones I have seen lately they want big dollars for, that is what is making me think about just advertising.

6. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

Where are you moving to?

7. CNYScapes

moving to Atlanta Northern Suburbs

8. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

First things first. Do you have the money for a wardrobe change?

You have to get rid of all of your blue clothes.

As to buy or advertise. Are you relocating with a wife? Will she have a job there?

Where are you going to live? Buy, rent, free load off of relatives? Will you be able to buy a new house for what you sell your Yankee palace for?

$25,000 to buy a business, or advertise.

More important is how much other cash is behind you?

Will you be able to get by for your first year without much income until you get established?

I would rather advertise then buy someone's route that is full of under priced lawns and customers that go for very little up sell work.

So why the move?

9. CNYScapes

Moving for better weather and longer working season. Sick and tired of snowplowing 120 inches a year for last 20 yrs.

Wife will work but I have never depended on her to pay any bills and I wont expect that in the future.

Already bought a house. No mortgage. $25k is just what I would like to spend to get started. I am looking at larger business also. If it take more money, yes i have the cash to do it.

Yes I could survive a year without income but that is not going to happen. I have 12 employees up here and expect to grow quickly in new location.

Thanks for your input.

10. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I have clients in the area you are moving to, and the competition is fierce. Many of the local companies are top-notch. My advice to you is INNOVATE. Research what the top LCOs in your area offer, and find ways to surpass them. Also, you will need to purchase reel mowers for your high-end clients. Expect to mow them at least twice a week. I am originally from NE Ohio myself, and was in for a shock when I moved down here in 2001.