What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnJoe, Aug 25, 2003.

1. LawnJoe

LawnJoe LawnSite Member

Advice from People in the Know

Ok guys, I'm starting my business back up again after a three year "mistake." I ran it for five years pretty successfully until I decided to give it up, so I know what I'm in for. What would you do, go for it and try to make a go of it so late in the season or get a job with another LCO until next spring?

2. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

I think that would depend on your financial situation.
    If you got plenty of sheckles to back you up if things are a little slow to start of with I would go for it. Is there much competition in your area? Have you got any accounts already lined up? Have you got a marketing/ advertising plan? Do you have all your equipment paid for or will you be payying off?

3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Only you can answer this question. If you think you can survive without another job then go for it. I would only take a job with another LCO if you are there to learn something new. What ever you do don't take a job with someone else with the intentions of steeling business from them next year.

Go hand out some fliers and see what happens.

4. LawnJoe

LawnJoe LawnSite Member

Competition is pretty stiff in my area, meaning that there are a lot of guys cuttin' out there. But, just from doing the research, many are unreliable and/or not doing a good job. I do not have any accounts lined up but I have a lot of connections once I do decide to get started--for next season.

5. LawnJoe

LawnJoe LawnSite Member

I think that at the end of this season, all I might get will be a lot of once in done jobs (clean-ups, etc.). Since I will have to finance some equipment, I don't know how I will get through the slow months.

6. LawnJoe

LawnJoe LawnSite Member

Soupy, thanks for the advice. I would never steal business. As a matter of fact, I just talked with a company on the phone today and was totally up-front with them on my intentions. I would look at it as a mutually beneficial arrangement.

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I would find something to do till next season at this point.
    Do some work on the side and build up accounts for next year,but jumping in at this late date will be a tough row to hoe.JMO;)

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Work another job, and just build up accounts. That is what I did years and years ago. I stepped out the business, took a good hard look, did lots of research and then slowly stepped back in testing the water again.

9. LawnJoe

LawnJoe LawnSite Member

Thanks tiedeman and dvmcmrhp52.

10. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Well since the competition is stiff and its late in the year, I would do both if you casn. I mean the chances would appear slim that you would take on so many yards that working for another LCO wouldn't be possible. Work for the LCO and build up what you can from the rest of this year as well. :cool: