What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Four Star, Sep 5, 2003.

1. Four Star

Four Star LawnSite Member

I have a customer, who tells me after I cut her lawn, that I did a "crappy job." She didn't like how the grass was laying after it was cut, and was comparing it to the lawn on the side of her driveway, saying that part looked better(to me, they looked the same)

I asked her if she wanted me to go over it again, because even though I thought it looked fine, I wanted to make the customer happy, since she clearly wasn't. She says no. And after she says I did a crappy job, she tacks on "but I'm not mad. You must have been out way too late last night." Right, out real late, in bed at 11pm. Don't party, don't get drunk ever, and especially not on a weeknight. I'm thinking of calling her and telling her she should find someone else. What would you do if you had a customer like this?

2. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

move on buddy.....move on or have alot of advil ready for the headaches to come.... tell her to kiss your grass

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If she ain't mad and you get paid......????
    If it is consistent that's another issue,but if she just had a bad day..........Lots of people have bad days,including all of us.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

just let it slide..she might be having a bad day

5. GLAN

GLAN Banned

How much more you got till the end of the season? Not much right........

Don't sweat it...........If she continues then when the season is over you make a decision.

I have customers for years that I can never please them, and we still have them. Some just like to voice an opinion. It's generaly not abusive, so I let it slide............if it escalates, I have a chat with them.

If it is a new client and that junk starts at the beginning. I have chat with them immediately. See how the conversation goes, if there is no flexibility displayed by them, then we ask them to find someone else.

But at this time of the year. I want to finish the year and get all I can get out of them.

6. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

I guess it all depends how busy you are.

7. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering, when you looked at the area customer was complaining about, did you look at it from the very same place she was looking at it from, and the same height?
    Grass can definitely look very different depending on the angle. Not saying the job was bad, but maybe she was looking at it from the worst possible angle.

How long have you been doing this account or how many cuts?
    First complaint or just one of many from her?
    From your side, machine working correctly, blades sharp, etc.?

8. Four Star

Four Star LawnSite Member

I was standing in the same spot she was. My equipment is in good working condition. She was one of the first customers I ever had, I've had her lawn for the last three years. We had one misunderstanding last year as well. If its possible, I think part of the problem may be with her lawn. the lawn is very thin and flimsy, at least in the front yard. In the back yard, the cut is always nice and flat. I didn't bother to point this out to her, as I don't really think it is worth it to argue about it. Thanks for all the input though guys. I think I'll just stick it out with her, and if it gets worse, I'll cancel her.

9. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Why not sell her on aerating and seeding the front ?

maybe a little fert application?

10. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

I had a customer tell me today, " I want my grass cut as short as you can get it." and then in the same breat told me she wanted a full lush lawn!" This is a fescue lawn so Geez....:dizzy: