What would you do

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jimmy348, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Jimmy348

Jimmy348 LawnSite Member

In the beginning of the season I wrote that a customer had dropped me so her nephew could do the lawn (3/4/ acre, garage, house, driveway and fence). She told me $35 was too much. Just like you guys said he lasted about three weeks. Next came a guy with a 21" murray and an electric weed whacker. He lasted two weeks. Well, I ran into the lady the other day while servicing another lawn and she wants me back. Told her I would take a look and get back to her when the schedule permitted. Her is what I saw: Grass over 1 foot, walkway overgrown 7-10 inches on both sides and clumps of dead grass all over. I'm thinking, do I do it? What would be a reasonable charge? Do I just want to savor the moment, sacrifice the $$$ and grin each time i service her next door neighbor? :D

I'm sure Bobby will have some good advice on this one!!!

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I am a little confused about that statement. Are you not servicing her, not the neighbor? Or is the neighbor wanting you to service them?

3. Jimmy348

Jimmy348 LawnSite Member

Sorry, I already service her next door neighbor. That is how I have been able too observe the frequency and quality of her "lco's".

4. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Triple regular cut price, paid up front, to get into shape..... then $40-$45/wk for regular cut...... Get a contract.... if she realizes your work is good, she'll have no problem.... could turn out to be a good customer......... might tell her friends how nobody could do a good job like you.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Have her sign a contract with the regular $35 price. If she doesn't want to sign the contract then just tell her that the price will be $45 from now on. And explain to her that reason for the high price is because of her constantly dropping you left and right causes you "great finanical & scheduling difficulties."

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I would blow her off. She's already shown a propensity for dumping you, why bother with the hassle all over again? She is a bargain shopper, not a quality shopper. I've got a woman who dumped us four years ago because I asked her for a deposit due to her constant late payments. Every year since she's called to get us/me back, and every year I turn her down, even though she's half a block away from a current customer. PITA.

:D

7. Flat Top Lawn

Flat Top Lawn LawnSite Member

I wouldn't mess with her. Try to replace here with another yard. Well, on the other hand you do have a yard next door. Thats EASY MONEY. Raise her price $10. If she wants you then she will pay.

8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with MTDMASTER said. She will not have you over to mow her lawn weekly but more like monthly. That is why it is so tall now. She just wants someone over to cut it when she thinks a neighbor may complain about her yard.

9. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The only way I would take the account back is on a yearly contract basis that is paid in advance monthly. I would raise the weekly charge to $40-$45 and tell her you want the first 4 weeks paid before you start cutting. If she says no, leave and don't go back.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

In the first place, don't do ANYthing for $35. That is way too cheap for a prop this size, no matter WHAT your expenses are. That is probably close to what she was paying these other hum-drums to do THEY were doing. It's comparing apples to oranges. As far as the cleanup goes, explain to her the 3 times the amount, and why that is (the amount of material being dealt with), and then perhaps come down a little bit on that, - giving her the idea that you're doing her a "favor".