1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, Mar 14, 2004.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I had a guy call me for a bid on a residential property. 6000 k, not a big deal, for the front yard that is. The back yard you had to go down a flight of stairs, I didn't count them but it was longer than going to the next floor of a house. Anyways the backyard was down there and I would have to carry my push mower all the way down it. Would you guys do it? Or is there something I could use to do the back yard that is light? How much extra should be charged?
  2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Just carry the 21"! They are not that heavy! Add like an extra $5-$10 to the price of the cut....that should be fair!
  3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I'd use the shindaiwa before I carried any mower down anything.
  4. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

jajwrigh, you muscular s.o.b :D

i would have to politely refuse him, and laugh at the thought once i got in my truck.

mmmm, on the other hand, if the customer is desperate, i might tell him that if he buys a push mower and leaves it back there, we might be able to negotiate a deal.
  5. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

Can a path be made to get a 48 down there?....You'd be surprised how steep a hill a walkbehind can go up and down.....
    (just don't do it when it's too wet or you may have to wait until it dries up).....
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have carried a 21" mower down stairs many of times. Carry it down is easy, the bringing it back up after you are tired from mowing down there is the hard part
  7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Not very heavy, what are you Hulk Hogan?. A 120 lbs is more than I will pack up and down a flight of stairs every week.
  8. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

percision cut-We do a house thats the same deal as this.

We use trimmers to do the whole lawn. Its got 2 small areas fenced in; in the front yard and a flight of stairs going down to the back. With a shindaiwa t270, it takes about 8-10 minutes to cut the back yard.

The entire property is on a lake. Its fairly quick, takes 2 guys about 20 mins. 1 guy does the front areas, then grabs the blower. The other guy does the back. Works out well.

I wouldnt blow him off, its not going to be as bad as you are imagining it. However, I would much rather take my trimmer down and spend 2 extra minutes that worrying about lugging a 21" around and taking it down stairs, just less hassle that way.
  9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

i dont think he met literally carry the mower, i think he met roll it down the steps by the back wheels, not pick it up:D
  10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I would use the trimmer. Unless your one of those "trimmer gaurd stays of for saftey guys" you can get the string pretty long and it goes quite quick. We do a couple like that because i dont evan own a 21 inch mower.