What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Titans Fan, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

Got a new account with a man who has nine rental properties for me to mow. We agree on 10-day schedule (which was dumb on my part). He says to start mowing the first full week of April. Last week, the lawns are already out of control. He calls yesterday morning and says mow them today. I say that my schedule is already full for the week and I am already rained out today. Then he starts this crap.......... "Now, you're not gonna mow every 10 days the fall are you."

Plus I lost my helper yesterday to boot.

With his nine accounts, I have a total of 34 plus I landscape too.

Heading back to college this fall as a full-time student.

I'm thinking I should drop him.

Sounding like a PITA.

Gimmie your feedback.

P.S. - the money is not that big of an issue.

2. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Remember the customer (in most cases) is always right...you should have explained to him you will be mowing more often in the spring....perhaps you can barter with him?

3. SCFF

SCFF LawnSite Member

The first full week of April is next week right? If that's what your agreement was then what's the problem? You just need to explain that to him.

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hey, how is money not that big of an issue? isnt that why we are in the business is to make money?? i am sure you can manage that amount of work, get another helper if need be

5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would just let him know in the spring you can't go every 10 days
    it just grows to fast.He can probably find somebody else if need be.Do what you think is best.

6. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Why did you ever decide to start your own business if this is your attitude towards your business and your client? Seems like you have enough $$$.
    I'm sorry. I've got very little, if any, hope for you my friend. If one demanding customer and 34 accounts is too much for you to handle then I dont have any advise for you.

7. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ouch!!!!!!

8. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

seems to be a pretty easy decision....do what you agreed to do (mow every 10) or forget about it and move on

9. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

To answer your question - yes, he sounds like a PITA customer - just like 90% of the rental property "managers" I've ever met. Very few of them are reasonable - or loyal!

10. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

I agree totally...:cry: