What would you do....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by two_planks, May 7, 2004.

1. two_planks

two_planks LawnSite Member

..... if you cut the main water line for sprinklers while trimming around a house. Water is gushing everywhere, the shut off valve is in the basement, the home owner is out and the house is locked up solid?

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

call up the city to have them come out and shut it off

3. two_planks

two_planks LawnSite Member

Damn thats a good idea. I ripped out the screen on a basement window, got the window open and climbed through it and shut off the water. I just decided that if it where me I'd rather have some one break in than end up with a basement full of water

4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

There's no way I would break into the customers house. You're risking too much by doing that. What if they accused you of taking something? You may be innocent, but people react differently when they feel their privacy may have been violated. I wouldn't even do that if it was a friends house. Not only that, but it's bad publicity if your name shows up in the paper or local news channels for breaking and entering. The only thing people will remember is what you were charged with. Then you can kiss your business good-bye.

5. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

I would cut it off at the street. (found a water key last week cutting one... empty house, and was left by a city worker)

6. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a water key, but it's not on my lawn service rig. But a lot of shut offs at the street (or where ever the water meter is) can be turned with a crescent wrench or channel-lock. Just watch out for creepie-crawlies.

7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I wonder if our insurance would cover that and the damage if you didn't get to the cutoff?

8. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

If it were a well there is no street cut off

9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Where I live, all houses connected to town water have a valve at the street. Can just turn it off by hand like a tap!

I would never break into a house. I've been given front door keys to peoples houses but NEVER used them. Just dont feel right!

10. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Their should be a valve by the backflow preventer where it comes out of the house. Just shut it off there.