What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, May 24, 2004.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

One of my clients asked me to mulch a couple of weeks ago. We agreed on black dyed mulch and price.

Today was the day for his mulch.. I have a guy that I've been subbing all my mulch jobs to. He has done close to a dozen for me in the last couple of weeks... using nothing but black dyed mulch.

So I meet with him in the A.M. to walk the property and answer any question he may have.. what gets edged and does not, what gets mulched and does not, how much mulch, etc. Then I leave him to do his thing and I go do my route.

Anyway.. I call in the mulch order.. 10 yards of "black dyed" delivered to so and so.

Well.. the end of the day comes and my guy calls me to give me a progress report. This and that was done, blah, blah, blah. Then he says "The mulch looks different. It's not as dark and is not as fine". I'm like.. "how much did you install"? He says, "a couple of yards". I said.. "okay I'll go take a look".

On my drive over I call my supplier to explain what my guy has told me and ask if they changed suppliers? They said no... "I guess they (guys in the yard) didn't read the ticket and loaded regular mulch". She said, "tell him not install any and they'll take care of it in the morning if it's the wrong stuff". I said, I'm on my way there right now and I'll call you first thing in the morning".

Well... sure enough it's the wrong stuff. Two yards are installed. I'm like WTF? First of all why am I not getting what I ordered and secondly.. why does my guy start installing it?

I'm standing there looking at the pile and looking at what was installed.. scratching my head wondering WTF to do? I called my guy to ask him why he didn't call me before he started.. but then the home owener comes out.. Hung up with him and said... so how's it looking? :eek:

She says.. it looks great.. I really like the edging (she initially questioned the edging part of the job) and that it really makes a difference. I said.. I told ya so and my guy will be back tomorrow to finish :D

Okay... what should I do or should I have done? Should I have said something right then about it being the wrong mulch? Do I leave it alone until questioned? Offer a discount? Have the supplier switch the mulch out? What about what was installed?

I've never been in this type situation before... have you? What would you do :confused:

2. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

If it is going to be corrected there should be no problem. If she mentions it then explain the problem and solution. Sometimes we stir up our own chaos.

3. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I think if I were in your position I would talk with the customer and if she likes it and does'nt mention the color then you have nothing to worry about. But if she says "Well I thought it would be a little darker" or something along those lines then I would offer a discount on the job. Good luck hope everything works out for you.

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Spread the wrong mulch out and cover it with the right mulch.
    If he only installed a couple yards and the supplier knows they did wrong I see no problem with them eating a couple yards for the mistake.JMO.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would have explained to her that it wasn't exactly the right mulch, and you can give her a discount if she isn't happy with it

6. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Get a little of the other stuff ( the original ) spread it in a place so it doesn't look that good and ask the customer to take a look and see which one she likes. Oh yea, make sure the 2 yards already installed looks premo.

You know what she will say...............let her make the call.

get paid.........all.

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Just to clarify,I meant spread the couple of yards out around all the beds just to thin it out so you will still get a good covering of the "right" mulch.

8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I ended up calling the client this morning and explaining the mix up.. offered to correct it by switching out the mulch or keep what's there with 10% off. They decided to keep what was there just to avoid the hassle.

Thanks for the feedback.