1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by satch, Jun 27, 2004.

1. satch

satch LawnSite Member

I lost a customer last monday.Had nothing to do with pricing,quality,etc..The customer's step-son was not working and he was going to start mowing the lawn as part of their living arrangement.Friday the step-son was killed in motorcycle wreck.Monday is next mowing date.Do i go mow 1 time for free out of respect or wait till they call? the young man was 20 yrs old such a shame that people have to die so young.
  2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i wouldnt call, because if you did, it would seem like you taking advantage, even though i know your not. i would just wait for them to call you, and if they dont, oh well, let it go.

just do not call or go over there, because they might think your using it to take advantage of the situation, even though i, and the rest of us know your not.
  3. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

I would mow it for free and send a sympaty card - extending my condolences. If they were satisfied with your services they will call you. I lost two children - my eldest son at age 21 and my daughter at age 16 - so I know first hand what those people are going through.
  4. Ken Kesey

Ken Kesey LawnSite Member
    from Here

Send a sympathy card.

No more, no less.

They know who you are and your number.

That way it won't look like you're trying to get their business back but just that you're "there".
  5. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

Can I alter my previous answer? Responded thinking this was a commercial account. If it's a residential - I would just send a card.
  6. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

just a card stay away you dont want to upset them or anything i can pretty much promise you they will call you back if they are happy etc
  7. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I dont care what anyone says I would call and tell them how sorry you are for their loss and let them know that you are going to give them acut---tell them say I want to cut your grass 1 time at no cost and if you need me after that then thats fine and if not then no sweat but this one is on me for your loss---come on man its the right thing to do ---put yourself in their place
  8. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

The last thing on my mind if I were them would be how the grass looks... I would send a card and let them call you when and if they need you.
  9. J Haugner

J Haugner LawnSite Member

Mow it out of respect as you put it. You are doing it to 'pay it forward', expecting nothing in return. Your good nature will take care of you.
  10. MJD75

MJD75 LawnSite Member

I take it your new arrangement with them was to not mow anymore. Thats that, unless you hear differently.