What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lowcountry Lawn Care, Oct 2, 2004.

1. I had a customer call today to ask me if I could come and cut her lawn today (Saturday) or Sunday. She says that she has some friends coming in and wants it to look great. She is normally an every other week customer that i charge 50 per cut. Her normal day is Friday which will be coming up this week. What do you guys propose I do in this situation. I must comment that she has been a great customer, no complaints from her, and she pays in record time every time. Should i add in a convenience fee and charge then also cut on the regular day or should i do her this favor and skip her next day. Thanks for your help as always guys.

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If I had time I would cut it, charge more for that and still cut it the following week to keep it on schedule and tell her all of that and explann why before you cut so that she agrees.

3. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

Great customer? No complaints? Pays in record time? Sounds like a customer I would love to keep. I'd cut it in a heartbeat with no extra charge. Odds are,she will let you continue cutting on your regular schedule, no questions asked.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

"no complaints"....."pays on time"....isn't this the way it's SUPPOSED to be? i could never understand why you guys give so much grattitude to a client that pays on time. your bills should have due dates, ALL OF YOUR CLIENTS should be required to pay by the due date, EVERY MONTH. now, to your question. this is the problem with every other weekers, and this is why i don't take them. they expect you to be on call for special events, and don't forget the old "can u cut it shorter." this being said, if it's truly not an inconveniece to you in any way, then i'd do it. remember do what's best FOR YOU, not what's best for them

5. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

In a fabricated world, yeah, that is the way it is SUPPOSED to be. You must have one helluva advertising strategy up ther in N.J. cause if I had your same attitude towards customer based relation's down here, I would lose more accts. than I added. Guaranteed.
    Being "on call for special events?" No, that doesn't mean I am going to get off my deer stand to go cut a yard that has come up unexpectantly--cause
    it ain't gonna happen. Now, if I wasn't seein' no deer...............................
    Really,though, I think that there are some customers you can be a little more flexible with than others.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yes, that's the way i do it. bills MUST BE PAID BY DUEDATES, no ifs ands or butts! no dough no mow, i don't do this as a hobby. face it, fact is fact, every other weekers are nothing but trouble.

7. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I'd mow it this time and let her know I was charging the same and that I would be back next week on regular schedule. Let her know you're doing her a favor by doing this. Because you had something else you need to do. Then tell her that from now on to give you a few days notice and you'd be happy to accomidate her. That how I do it. I understand people might need it mowed on a differant day for a spcial occaction and try to accomidate them with a few days notice. This job is about providing customer service but they need to realize we'er not slaves, we have to plan also. And have lives out side of lawn care.

mbricker likes this.
  8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Just go with the flow...roll with the punches...don't sweat the small stuff.

I don't worry about this stuff unless someone makes it a habit.

9. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I've had 'special' requests for cuts, and will do them for my customers if time permits. The extra cut is charged for as a normal cut, and they will still also be cut and charged for their next regularly scheduled cut.

10. A Leaf Above

A Leaf Above LawnSite Member

I would do it for same $50 that you usually charge. Actually its going to take you less time seeing that the lawn will have less growth . Personnally i feel that you treat your customers the way that you would like to be treated yourself ..Look at it as an extra $50 you wouldnt have had in the 1st place..

Take the wife and kids out for a good dinner :)