1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chefdrp, Nov 11, 2004.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I got done doing some leaves today and got to where i keep my truck and mowers.(At parents poll barn). Anyway i get there and 2 houses down i see a LCO doing the neibers leaves. :confused: I dont do this persons lawn. He (homeowner) does his own lawn. The home owner knows i have a lawn bus. and never evn asked for a quote. I have signage on my truck and name is in the book so i know he knows the number. I even see the other LCO all the time. What would you guys do? Call the home owner and ask why he didnt consider me or just leave it be?
  2. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

leave it be.
  3. Freshcut Lawn Care

Freshcut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would need a little more information.....How well do you know the neighbour? Is he considered a friend of the family?

I would let it go for now and later in the year I would likely run into him at some point and create some small talk. At some point in the conversation, I would mention that I noticed you used XYZ company to do your Fall Clean up and was wondering... if you were aware that I perform this task as well and that I would appreciate the opportunity to quote you a price.

Remember this person doesn't have to use you and is free to chose anyone he wishes!

Maybe he doesn't want to get involved with neighbours in this fashion...in case there is a problem!

I wouldn't make a big deal out of it, but I am the curious type and would want to know myself! :blush:
  4. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

absolutely leave it alone. this is probably the reason you didn't get the call from him in the first place: someone's proverbial panties always end up in a bunch.

many, many business owners don't do business in their own neighborhoods or families for good reasons. my exterior remodeling company will not do any houses on my street. people either want a discount, which i don't have a problem with, but i don't need a potential problem to make my life hell.

better yet, for our amusement, give 'em a call and post his response.... ;)

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

just leave it alone. That are too many variables in this situation that could cause him to use the other guy

1. he could be related to the other LCO
    2. he thinks that you are already too busy doing clean ups
    3. he doesn't get along with your parents
    4. he gets along with your parents and doesn't want to cause waves if he doesn't like the work that you do
    5. he knows already what you charge and figures that it will be a lot
    6. he doesn't know what you will charge and figures if he asks you and you tell him that he will feel bad for turning you down because of price
    7. he has a gift certificate for the other LCO
    8. he won a contest for a fall clean up
    9. he tried to call you, but the phone company had your phone line down when he was trying to get ahold of you so he finally gave up and called the other guy
    10. he saw you naked
    11. he saw you picking your nose and thought it was wrong
    12. you forgot to turn on the turn signal at the stop light in town
    13. you didn't wave to him the other day
    14. you dated his daughter before
    15. you married his daughter
    16............do I have to keep on going........
  6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

7. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

If your really interested, start conversation and bring up the topic. But I would personally leave it alone.
  8. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

There are 3 types of customers that I will not work for...relatives, friends and neighbors. All of them will cause problems.
  9. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

If everything is like you say................you probably don't want his business anyway. Smile and wave everytime you go by........don't worry bout it.
  10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Back in the 20's people like Al Capone had problems with people getting their liquor from the competition. Is that how you want to work things? Its a free country.