What would you do???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by impactlandscaping, Feb 23, 2005.

1. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I already made a decision, I just want to see what others would have done in my place...Here's the scenario....

Residential account, $ 265.00 per month in maint., mowing, and spot spraying. Client has been with us for three seasons now. Last year,as many of you know, I switched to Wright Standers. I sold our WB's shortly afterward. This particular yard has 2 rear gates, each are less than 36", the 36" would fit with a little persuasion..lol.I told her we were upgrading our mowing fleet, and asked her to install a larger gate for the backyard. I offered to pay for 50% of the cost, and even offered to contact her fencing company for her. She said she would take care of it. Well, we had to finish the last 4 cuts last fall with a 21" in the backyard b/c the gate was never installed. It's now contract time renewal( 3-1-05, commercials renewed in Dec. 04), and still no access to the back yard? What would you do???

2. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Call her, or send her a reminder of the need to change the gate. Tell her it needs to be done before the first cut of the season, or you will have to raise her price bcause of the extra time it takes to run the 21".

3. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

Contact her again about the gate issue, and how it will save her money in the long run to replace it because if you are unable to cut her backyard with the right equipment you will be forced to increase the price due to a loss of efficiency and an increase in labor "which you would really rather not have to do because she is a preferred cust and you are looking out for her best interests, etc." Plus you offered to pay 50% and contact her fence dude so I see no reason as to why she wouldn't do it, most likely she forget or put it off. Good luck

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

If the 36" stander fits with a little persuasion, why don't you either:
    A. keep persauding it
    B. modify the gate opening to allow easier access with the 36" Stander.

5. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Tell her it's gonna cost her $90.00 instead of $66.00

6. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Ask her if she would like you to take care of her fence gate widening project and then bill her for it. :waving:

7. impactlandscaping

Let me give a little light to this situation...Eric, I sold our 36" WB, so we have no WAM to cut her backyard, and I'm not buying another one for one account. Three other accounts all widened their gates for us last year, and she was reminded in her monthly bill two times in the "notes" section, plus with a friendly email or two. She isn't as busy a person as most of our clients, and she always pays on time, but I can't keep sending my guys over there with a 21" for her back yard which recieves no irrigation, but gets all the runoff h2o from the front lawn, and can get really out of hand if not cut every 5 days in the spring. I could justify the cost increase for a 21", but why lose any more time than necessary when we have 5 other accounts within 30 seconds of this one? Who wants to cut with a 21" when you've got two 48" Standers and a 48" WB on the trailer?

8. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Do you tell everyone to put in a new gate if you can't get through it with a ride on machine. You should bid it on the event you cant get a riding machine through it. If you can lose 265 a month thats good if i was the customer i would tell you to pay for all of it or if you wanted to up your price i would find another company

9. impactlandscaping

We select our mowing accounts according to our standards. She was a prior client with a gated yard. We will not bid on a gated yard with access smaller than 52". We used the 36" WB back there previously. I had no need for the small WB after upgrading mowers.

10. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Bill. This seems pretty simple...

Hi Mrs. So and So,

As you know.. we discussed the installation of a new/wider gate to your backyard so I can continue to service your lawn at your current rate. I see that the same gate is still in place. I can continue to service the lawn but the rate will be X amount higher due to the extra time involved to mow this area.

----------------------------------------------------

My thoughts... what equipment did you use last year that allowed you access into this backyard? Should the client have to change their gate for you? Should the client pay more because you changed equipment?