What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Titans Fan, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Titans Fan

Titans Fan LawnSite Member

Went to give an estimate on a spring clean-up with mulch yesterday. Customer told me that she wanted the same things done that we did last year at this time - which was weeding beds, mulching of a few leaves, first mowing of the season and to freshen-up the mulch.

I told the lady that we would do it for the same price as last year. She looked back in her check register and said that we did it for $495.

After I got home, I thought that didn't sound right. Come to find out that we charged her $595.

I know that she is trying to cheat me!

How would you handle this situation?

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

If you havn't already give her an estimate/proposal form that says this years/last years price. She should get the picture.
  3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Print out last years invoice and show send it to her. If she was ok with it last year, she should be ok with it this year.
  4. cward

cward LawnSite Member

Show her last years estimate.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

No situation. You already told her how much!
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

"i'm sorry mrs. smith, i realized that last year we did the job for $595. i'll be happy to do it again for the same great price. " what's the problem here?
  7. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I think you should have been more prepared before meeting with her.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

exactly what bobby said
  9. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

Some of us enjoy the personal reationships we develop with our clients. If I knew that one of my clients was trying to cheat me I would probably drop them. I prefer to run my business without contracts, but I depend on their honesty. I lose a couple hundred a year to dishonesty. I get several times that in tips and Christmas gifts. I love landscaping but my clients realize I need to earn a profit for me to come to their home and do it. I am not the best businessman but my clients look out for me and I consider them friends. Those who don't fit that mold I don't have time for.
  10. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Now, that's the truth. Definitely learn from this experience.

Is it possible that she paid you $100 in advance, and the $495 upon completion? That could explain the discrepancy.