What would you guys bid on this???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowinforaliving, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Mowinforaliving

Mowinforaliving LawnSite Bronze Member

It's a 4 lane highway that's 2 miles long. It looks similar to a small stretch of interstate. You have to mow the median which is approximately 40', and then you have to mow over to the light poles on each side, which is about 40' for each side. It's all fairly smooth ground and there's no trimming required because at the first of the year they let you spray roundup around each light pole and culvert to kill off all vegetation. Here's a picture. Remember, 2 miles long, 40' median, 40' on one side, 40' on the other side. No trimming. Also, they won't let you brush hog it because they want it to have a "yard like" appearance. You have to mow it with ZTR's.

highway.jpg

2. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

$650.00 but you problly won't get it at that if it was around here anyhow.

3. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Don't know, but it sure looks like a tornado is about to brew over that road!

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Personally I don't think I would want to do it because of the size of it and how many resources it would take, but a ballpark figure would be around 700 a cut. That's figuring 20 man hours for roughly 30 acres, just under 25 an acre and likely it would have to be cut 2-3 times a month, solo it would take two full days so it's just too many eggs in that one basket.

I suppose one could go a little higher or a little lower, but this is figuring a pretty good clip because lawn like or not you can take most of these areas at a good 8-10 mph and you should be able to get up on an acre every 35-40 minutes or so.

I do agree you'd doubtful win this bid at 700 but considering the cars and trucks will be flying past at 900mph and you have to pay attention not to direct debris their way and what have you it's really worth more, 650 is cutting it close but if you REALLY need the work I'd guess you could do it for 600, just not something I would consider. Don't forget drivers can be litterbugs, you will find bottles and cans and all kinds of good stuff in there, I just wouldn't touch it for less than 7, hopefully no tractor trailer ever crosses the median right where I am because of some lost trailer tire lol, not exactly my favorite turf.

Either way you look at it, two FULL days at 350 a day, or one FULL day with two guys 350 a piece, one stop shopping.

60" Z, that is.

And I hope my calculator isn't broke again :laugh:

5. dutchhook

dutchhook LawnSite Member

I agree with the other posts, it looks like a dang nice cut for a highway.
    Remember two things. Garbage, mufflers and the like, and keeping that mowing chute down for obvious reasons.

6. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Well since their is alot of highways their and you could do them one after another id say like 18$ a 1/4 mile. j/k

7. Mowinforaliving

Thanks for the replies guys! Keep them coming.

8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Wow - Move that section to SE Iowa - That is a 29 acre job, and my 595 setup could handle it in 4 hrs. It is as said above about a $700 job. Even at $20/acre, it is $580 or $145/hr.

9. Mowinforaliving

PM me flex deck and tell me about that machine of your's and pictures if you got em. Thanks.

10. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Agreed but.......

Personally I'd add a hazardous charge to the bid, I'd hate to see what will happen to a guy riding around on a ZTR that gets hit by a soccer mom thats running late. Bright yellow vest is a must.