What would you guys charge for a 5 acre yard like this.................

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nitrousoxide764, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Nitrousoxide764

Nitrousoxide764 LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Just stumbled onto this potential cut. It's for my sister's friend so I need to give her a break. I'm not "in the business" so to speak. I just have one other yard that I cut (besides my own). This 5 acres is with no trees and hardly any back yard. It's all in the front. She had a friend with a tractor and a bushog that used to do it but no longer can't. Have no idea what he charged. It seems pretty straightforward for a little extra cash. Just looking for ANY feedback so I can tell her something this weekend before she finds someone else. THANKS!!!!

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

We need a little more information so we can fully answer your question. Are you also doing trimming, edging and blowing... or is it just mowing? This is a ballpark figure but the price around my area would be in the neighborhood of $225-$275 each time to mow 5 acres.

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

What are YOU going to use to cut it?

The former guy used a tractor and bush hog?
    Is this a lawn or a field?

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

If she is your sister's friend and she was paying someone else, just ask what she paid them or what she is willing to pay you. If you like the price, do it. If not, Thank her and tell her it would be difficult to budget the time.

5. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Takeing it that ins., taxes, and everything else most of us have to charge for aren't an isue for you. $15-18 an hour should cover labor, fuel, and repairs.

6. Nitrousoxide764

Nitrousoxide764 LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Hey thanks for all the great feedback. Sorry I didn't provide much info. I might have to blow off the 200 foot driveway after I cut. No weedeating. Also, this did use to be a field. But the house has been there for years and the lawn is pretty groomed. I only have a front deck 54" rider. You might as well figure the whole day will be shot considering the drive time from where I live.

7. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

You said it will take you a whole day. Charge her what 1 day of work is worth to you+gass+maintenance costs.

8. FreshCuts

FreshCuts LawnSite Member

I have a 5 acre account and use a 60" ztr mower. It take ma 4 hrs by myself to do all of it. It is like yours it is mostly front and flat. I Trim and edge and blow clean. With a 54" should take you a little longer.

Here is a pic of the one I cut. See if its anything like yours.
    [​IMG]

9. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Figure 1 acre per hour mowing with a 54 inch deck. Also plan on using about 1.5 gallons of fuel per hour if the mower has a 20-25 HP engine. Blowing off a 200' driveway will take about 15 minutes.

SO...
    7.5 gallons of fuel @ $1.90 per = $14.25
    5.25 hours of labor @ $30 per = $157.50

Total = $171.75

Other costs also enter the picture ( depreciation of equipment, insurance, oil, filters, blades, belts, tires.....etc.) so you need to factor those costs in as well. When all the other costs are determined and added in the total will be in the $190-$200 range.

That works out to about $40 per acre which is about what we get here in Florida.

10. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

In my area, its about $45-50 an acre, give or take. I would take the $45*5 and tell her $220. That should cover your time and energy.