1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What would you guys do??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Stevegotcrabgrass, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Stevegotcrabgrass

Stevegotcrabgrass LawnSite Member

I hate my job. I am a white collar guy with a great job at a famous firm and hate it. I love to work outside and with my hands. I was an auto mechanic through highschool and college and then went into my chosen (big mistake) profession. Sure I make good money but I never see my wife or kid. I would be happy working from 6 am to 4 or 5 pm 6 days a week.

I want to cut lawns. Am I crazy about even wanting to do this. My pros are that I know a lot of people who would probably hire me. Maybe even 300 plus. I also have experience in irrigation system installation and repairs and have an account at my local sprinkler/lighting supply house. In addition I have a decent number of connections with commercial properties. In my business I have made a lot of connections and that can help. Another pro is I can run a business from tax issues to legal issues as that is what I do everyday so that won't be an issues. I am very aware about overhead, economics, sales etc. Im fairly likeable (even though I sound not modest at all).

My CONS. I have never cut professionally but I do all my own yard work and love every second of it. I would have to start from scratch or maybe buy a business with some accounts and do it part time until I can ensure I can provide for my family.....what would you guys do??? Stay in a job you hate where you feel like you're drowning in your own worthlessness everyday or take a risk and do something you think you would actually enjoy. Sorry this is long. I am just sitting here in my little office at about 8 pm and hate my life. My 3 week old daughter is sitting at home alone with mommy and I won't get there for another 2 hours at the minimum and I will return tomorrow and do the same thing................
  2. Father&Daughter Lawn care

Father&Daughter Lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

I truly enjoy what i do. I am also able to take my daughter with me during the summer time.
  3. Stevegotcrabgrass

Must be nice....I truly hate what I do.....but hey, I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. (really no pun intended)
  4. badbart

badbart LawnSite Member

Do what you can afford to do....or learn to live with less (for a while) if this is what you really want to do. It's obvious that there is money to be made in yardwork if you don't mind working hard, but you may not be getting off at 4 or 5 everyday. My chosen profession is not taking me where I want to be either, but right now it's paying the bills until I'm in a better position to do otherwise fulltime.
  5. Promow64

Promow64 LawnSite Member

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I love what I do now but at the same time you will be taking on a whole different stress. Don't ever plan on taking off at 4 or 5pm. I usually work all day to come home around 7pm and do any book keeping I have or work in the garage on any maintenance I have. I definitely don't regret it but it's hard work and it's tough to plan for retirement. If you do decide to do it buy new equipment. Less initial maintenance and more time trying to get new accounts.
  6. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

There is a lot more involved with running a business than mowing a few lawns and collecting checks.

You will not be able to work 8-5 as the owner and make the living you want at first. If its less hours you want, the last thing you want to do is start a business.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Stevegotcrabgrass

All great advice. I am still toying with the idea. I work horrible hours now so anything would be an improvement. And I know running a business is not easy. I would def. have to start small and part-time unfortunately. Probably just me on a thursday/friday/saturday kinda thing. Try and get 10-20 weekly accts in my first year. Maybe double it in the second year and pick up a helper.
  8. rm25x

rm25x LawnSite Member

You live life once, why live it hating it.
  9. waters lawn care

waters lawn care LawnSite Member
    from alabama

10. Stevegotcrabgrass

Thanks for the support.....I say that to myself all day. When I was a tad younger like 19-23 I was mostly concernced with money. After I got married and had my new daughter born I began to think more about enjoying my life. Hey most everyone has got to work. I work very long hours but hate my job. I would rather at least work long hard hours but like my job. Work is work. Im not afraid of it. I fight it everyday.