What would you have charged for this job?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Jason Pallas, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Quick question. We did a small retaining wall and some landscaping for a client. I'll briefly describe the job. Please tell me what you would charge. I'll post later what we charged. The customer seemed to think our price was a way too high - I just want to make sure that we were not out of the park with our price.

The job: Build a 70' long retaining wall of the castle rock style wall stone (like they carry at Home Depot/Lowes). The wall was two blocks high (for a total height of 8"). We used approx 150 blocks. We then had to back fill (by hand) the area behind the wall with 7-8 yds of topsoil to build bermed planting area for an installation we later put in. Total material cost for this portion of the job was about $550. Thanks for your help.

2. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

about $2,000 for everything

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

~2k..................

4. ClippersLC

ClippersLC LawnSite Member

$2K sounds resonable to me...no less than $1,500.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Question,why did you backfill behind the wall AFTER the wall was built?I would have had the soil back there 1st,then spread.How far did you have to move the soil?And the wall block?Were you working with a fairly level area to start?Were your materials right there close?I will answer after you tell me these details..

6. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

1800.00 .....

7. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Im not going to back fill nothing by hand for 2k for me $3500 would be fair taking into consideration the hand shoveling.

8. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

$15 per block here or $2250 before tax.

-Geoff

9. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys - we charged $2200. I thought it was a little low but it seems to be right about on target. All the materials were close enough (pick-up from suppliers was only 3-4 miles). The soil had to be wheelbarrowed in - about 50-60ft from the front of the house to the back area. The area that we were working with was pretty flat to begin with. We backfilled after the wall was built because we were afraid of packing the area and then having rain wash the soil over the lawn and surrounding area. I'll try to post pictures before and after. We completed the job about 10 days ago.

10. Scottish LScape

Scottish LScape LawnSite Member

$2500.00 before sales tax.