1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What would you have done?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pcs, Apr 13, 2001.

1. pcs

pcs LawnSite Member

Today I helped a friend out on a clean up. It took 3 of us 5 hours to do it plus two truck loads and a trailer load of stuff. Cut down to trees and removed 5 stumps that where already there. This place was a mess!! Got it done and the lady said she was not happy and was not going to pay. So this really got my friend mad. And he just started hauling all the stuff from the trucks and through it back on her lawn. The lady just stood there and laughed. What would you do if this happened to you? We tried to reason with her but she was a wicked wowmen!!
  2. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

Don't know the laws in Canada, but talk to an attorney and try to put a lean on the BIT***S property. If you can't , just burn it down! Good luck, Russ
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I would suggest taking before and after pictures whenever taking on a project like this. A picture speaks a 1000 words and would have been good to show a Judge if it went that far.
  4. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

Excellent advice Homer and much less risky than roasting her home. Good luck to ya, Russ.
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

lady wasnt to smart. been me id have done the same thing your friend did only i might accidently step on some pretty things around.
  6. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

large jobs should require a deposit and percentage..therefore if they do not want to pay then you can leave all the trimmings behind and still have some money to show for it. I would also look towards a lien on her house if the job had a large price on it.
  7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

once you dumped the stuff back ....you'll have little to stand on in court for the whole amount ....deposit's for jobs over say $100 ...keep your cool ....clear communication of payment & work to be performed ....I'd try to collect on the labor spent altough ...good luck ....man that is a $%$%$#^
  8. SJR Lawncare

SJR Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

That sucks!!! I probably would have done the same thing. Good luck

9. EROSS17

EROSS17 LawnSite Member

I probably would have dumped the stuff on her porch and in her driveway.
  10. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I would have loved to throw that stuff back on her lawn. i would most likely have just dumped the stuff and charged her for it. If I wouldn't have got it that way, I would use other ways to collect legally. by dumping all the stuff back on the lawn, you basiscally did all that work for free. I have the thoughts of dumping oil on the lawn, but whatever you do that is going to cost you, is not worth it. Make sure you spread the word of her wicked ways.