What would you have done???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LwnmwrMan22, May 2, 2008.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I had a call today, customer in a well-to-do neighborhood. I've already been doing a couple of neighbors of his, and over the winter they dropped my name and number to him.

Anyways, we're talking, and I ask over the phone "how big is your yard, do you know the sq. ft. of the turf?" He says "I put down 8-10 bags of fertilizer 4 times per year, 15k sq ft bags".

I thought that's odd, no one in that area has 4 acre yards, they're all about 1 acre of turf.

I said okay, so 8-10 bags per year, right? He said no, 35-40 bags per year.

I said you do realize that you're over applying, right? He said "yes, but I want it thick and green".

I continued on saying that what you're doing isn't really working, it'd be like painting your house 20 times per year, 4 different times of applying 5 coats. The first time would do the trick, with maybe a second coat to touch things up, but after that you're not gaining anything.

I stopped by today and it's about 40k sq ft of turf. I quoted him a price of $160 per app. He said does that include double fertilizing. I said no, that's using the proper amount of fertilizer for your yard.

He said how much more to double fertilize it. I said I would not do that. It's not good for the health of the yard and it's just a waste of product as well as his money.

He said no thanks, that he'll keep doing it himself.

Would you have purposefully overapplied to get the account?? Or just cut back on the application rate and covered the property 3-4 times so it looked like you're overapplying?? Or turn down the account like I did?

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

NO. Say: "Tthank you, but you do realize that unless the soil is within a certain alakaline/acidic base, your grass cannot absorb any fertilize no matter how much fertilize is available. It's like being drunk; enough booze gets you drunk, drink more than that and it kills you."

3. stressed

stressed LawnSite Member

Yes let it go,i cant stand a customer that thinks he knows evrything.Why do they even call just do it themselves and have an ugly lawn.

4. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

if the customer wants it you'd be foolish not to provide it. set expectations for the customer and get his sig on a contract to tell you that he's the one who advised you to do so. then shortchange him on the fert.

5. kbrashears

kbrashears LawnSite Senior Member

That is encroaching on some serious environmental issues as well.

That guy needs an education. Not so you can pick him up, but for the good of everyone.

6. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

can i use that:laugh:

7. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I think you should drop a call to your local dept of enviromental services, and the EPA. Wait I think your customer is the brother of my lady that was telling me how and when to do do tick control.:hammerhead::hammerhead:

8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, the other posts are right ... walk away from the job and just know that you did the right thing !!

9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't even give it a second thought. You did the right thing. This yard is a time bomb waiting to happen.

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Sounds to me like you acted very proffesional.