What would you have done???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LwnmwrMan22, May 2, 2008.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

THERE you go....

He denied my service when I would only put down the required rate at the 'required' intervals.

2. Buckskinner38

Buckskinner38 LawnSite Member

So... How DID his yard look? I mean it sounds like a train wreck, You dont wanna look, but you just got to look!

3. LwnmwrMan22

I looked "normal" for a yard that's just had snow on it a week ago.

It's somewhat hard to tell what's mold and what's just grass that's still dormant this time of year, especially when you have no idea of how they mowed or what the yard looked like previously. It wasn't completely distressed looking though, although he's got to either be putting TONS of work into it, or he's not telling the truth about that much fert.

I didn't get a real long chance to talk with him, to find out what the reason was for him putting that much fertilizer on, whether he thought it looked better (dark green), wanted to mow every day, or what.

I tried to explain to him how proper care would make the grass healthier and better looking, without the straight fert., but he wasn't really playing along, so that's when I just said "think about it, and give me a call back".

4. Buckskinner38

Or he could have been using some sort of organic fertilizer like milorganite or blood meal. With exception to the Milorganite the blood meal is hi in nitrogen. The Blood meal would be a fast release and neither of them would burn a lawn. Well let be rephrase that by saying its possibilities to burn a lawn are LOW...

I cant see a cool season grass yard taken on that amount of Nitrogen and not get burned.

For all we know his septic tank may have been leaking or is full:cry:

5. LwnmwrMan22

If he doesn't call back by Monday, I'm going to give a follow up call, let him have time to think over the weekend.

I'm taking this on as a challenge, plus I want to get the soil samples, see what's really in that yard.

I personally can't believe he's been putting on 4-5 x's the amount of fertilizer that's for his yard.

Either he's putting 8-10 bags per season on, or he's using the 5k sq ft bags per round.

The more I think about it, the more I think of it as an insult to my intelligence. I've been doing this (as have many on this board) long enough to know that if you're doing that much fert., that either it's going to burn out the yard, or you're mowing every day and your water bill is unbelievable.

Either of which I can't understand why you'd do, even if you had so much money you had no other idea what to do with. For what it's worth, these houses are in the $600k-2.5M range, which you east coast guys would be looking at $1.5-4M for these places.... remember, this is the midwest.

http://www.cbburnet.com/CustomModul...0d-a4e2-428ce9a65cba&WT.mc_ID=351810000000000

There's a link to the type of property we're talking about, this house is across the street and one house to the west.

Here's another house that's about 5 to the west of this property.

http://www.edinarealty.com/Listing/ListingDetail.aspx?Listing=26797587

6. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

I've had that happen lots of times. A customer tells you something and since half the time they don't know what they're talking about and the the other half are telling stories to get you to do something it's easy to misread sometimes :). Nice neighborhood there.

7. Buckskinner38

Let us know how it turns out. Even if you don't get the job. I'm curious as to what he has to say on what he has done to his yard... So turn on that salesman charm and patronize him!:walking:

8. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

If he is putting down 8-10 5000 sq ft bags he would be on the money.
    if he was putting down what he says the amount of N would fry the lawnjust like if you stopped spreading and dropped a pile.

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Please tell all of us the consequences to double ferting your lawn

10. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Do you really need an explination?:dizzy: