What would you have done???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, May 10, 2004.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

I got a call the other day from a pos hotel to mow their property, it hadn't been done yet this year and was about knee tall... I stopped by, called the guy later and we agreed to $120, I thought it would take me 2- 2.5 hours...

This morning I drive over there, about 25 minutes away, start mowing and he comes out and says "the owner told me I can only pay you $80".. Needless to say, I was upset and thought about sticking the mower on the trailer and heading home... Instead, I said ok, looked at my watch, and started mowing at a rate where I would be done in 90 minutes or so... Instead of going over it twice and getting it completely cut, I left when the 90 minutes was up with the cash in my pocket..

2. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

sounds good to me.

3. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

what did he say about the job? i know i would have done it for a half ass job....

4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Hey, the guy wants to give less $ than you agreed upon and so you decide to give less quality than what you had planned - sounds like a fair trade to me.

Still, that's B.S. - changing the price at the last minute. Very bad character on the other guy's part. I would never work for him again.

5. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

You did exactly what I would have done, except I would have only worked for 60 minutes if there was a 50 mile round trip involved for $80.

6. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you going to continue to mow it?

7. LittleOranges

LittleOranges LawnSite Member

I think I would have cut 80.00 worht of the lawn VERY well and left the rest.

8. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I agree with little oranges. I try to never do a less than great job on any part of the lawn.

9. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

The only reason I did it to start with is because I was already over there, within a few miles, of mowing a cemetery...

I told him I would do it again, but only for $60 and only if it was close to a length were I could cut it at a normal speed.. If this place was mowed on a weekly schedule I could do it in about 45 minutes and its a very easy place with very little trimming..

Scary part is, they seemed quite happy with the way the place looked.. The bundles and half cut grass didn't seem to bother them at all... I was just glad the hotel was positioned such that nobody else could see that I was the one mowing that disaster..

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Very tough call to make indeed. I would have been just as upset as everyone else but having my truck there with my company name on it would have been hard to do a poor job. I know that it is not what you wanted or needed to make but at least they paid you something rather then the customer how stiffs you on the bill.

Gravely_Man