What would you have said????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

I have an account with a lady, little less than half an acre with a little fenced area (20'20??)and I get $38 for it.. The only way I can get into the backyard(90% of the property) with my Tiger Cub is by going through the neighbors property along the fence.. Last year the guy was cool about it, this year the guy has turned and said the only way I could go on his property was if I mowed the back section of his property, which is about 30'x100'.. Rather than doing the entire yard with a 36" WB, I now do my account plus his piece with the Tiger Cub... Saves me a little time and a lot on my legs..

2. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Your Cub is 48", the wb is 36". I'd put a Proslide on the 36" and cut the back with that before I gave that guy something for nothing.

3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have the WB with you, in the trailer? If so, use it. What does a 20 x 20 area do to your legs?
    I would have offered to mow it for a reasonable price. I would not mow it for free.
    I find it hard to believe that it's faster to mow his additional 3,000sf, and the 400 sf of the paying customer, than it would be to only mow the 400 sf with the WB. Is the rider 8.5 times as fast as the WB?
    Crawdad

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Sometimes it's wise to do something for somebody who is doing you a favor.

The neighbor guy IS doing something for you, as he doesn't have to let you on his property at all, he doesn't have to give you a reason, and he wouldn't be a dick if he said no.

You're doing the right thing. Cut his lawn with a smile on your face! Send him a Christmas card!

Mark my words, if you do this with the right attitude in your heart it will pay off for you.

You'll probably end up with both yards under contract.

5. crawdad

I disgree with your last sentence, why should the guy pay, he's getting it done for free?
    Where is the gate, bordering the neighbor, or an alley? No access to gate without crossing private property?
    I'm not against the idea of a good deed, or repaying a favor, but I think perhaps Jon is being used. Maybe a mow "once in a while," but not every time. I still don't see the time savings. Give us the time breakdown, mowing the 20 x 20 with a WB, vs doing it all with the rider.
    Crawdad

6. Jon99

crawdad- I am mowing the 20x20 fenced in area with the WB regardless... The section in question is much large, probably .3 acres... It takes me 35 minutes to mow my accounts back yard with the WB, I can do that same piece plus the neighbors little strip in 25 minutes with my Tiger Cub... My accounts back yard is bordered by a fence, her house, creek and the guys property line..

So while I am getting used and it pisses me off, it is saving me 10 minutes and a lot of walking..

7. crawdad

Wow! 20 x 20, 35 minutes?
    That's 8 passes, figuring 30 inches per pass with the 36...I would have figured it would be a LOT quicker. Maybe 10 minutes or so. I can do a lot in 35 minutes with my WB.
    Whatever, I'm not there, can't tell you what to do, but, I would raise the blades way up when doing the freebee.
    What bothered me was, the neighbor's "little strip" is, by your original numbers, 8.5 times as big as the one you're getting paid for.

Wait, now I'm getting it, there is more to the back yard than just the fenced in area. I didn't get that on the first post.
    What kind of fence? Build a gate, if the homeowner agrees to it.
    Crawdad

8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I would check into a velke or pro slide and save the wear and tear on the tiger cub. Its not a bad trade off but I think it stinks that you have to mow that guys yard.If I was going to have to spend money, I think it would be in a velke (that may be needed in the future) instead of wear on my machine for no $$

9. Jon99

When I started this business I told myself I would NEVER own a velke, those things are a pain in the butt.. I will have my 36" Exmark for a VERY long time, last year I probably put 40 hours on the machine, use it for nothing but backyards and steep hills...

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

For me, the 20x20 would be getting done by hand. If I was approached by the neighbor, in the very LEAST, I would have told him that I can do it for cost. Atleast get SOME sort of compensation for it. Then again, transition time weighs into it, too. Jon knows better than we do. For instance, how far is the trailer (pushmower) from the area to be mowed? How long (and much effort) does it take to get off the trailer? These are factors to consider. 30x100 is NOT a big deal with a Z, so the time factor may be (and probably is, if he's doing it) worth the while. The main thing is,..whatever works best for that particular application. Also, what was said earlier...the good attitude? HA! That goes a Loooooong way. We can go through this life one of two ways,...just being a so and so and/or somewhat necative, or we can be positive, well liked, and influential. Being cool with this guy, always friendly can and JUST MAY come up later in the future. If he has any extra lawn work or mowing or anything he wants done, who do you think he's going to ask first? You just keep doin' what you're doin'.