what would you like to become as a horticulturest?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mr_ban_bungii, Apr 23, 2008.

1. mr_ban_bungii

mr_ban_bungii LawnSite Member

anyone got any goals or objectives in there horticulture career if you have goals you would like to talk about it just let it out tell me what you think lets discuss it on this topic.

I was in the past had landscape jobs I was a gardener and I wanted to become a nurseryman so I did but I want to get and receive nursery apprenticeship if I can and after that do a general certificate 4 in horticulture as a supervisor.

then a diploma in all ornamental horticulture meaning residential gardens and nursery and the entire lot and earn $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!

at the moment I had finsihed a certificate 2 in horticulture/landscape and before that a general horticulture certificate.

this sounds like alot of ambitions but its something I really want to do in the future to become a nursery plant propagation farm and a landscape gardening job as well because I will earn loads of cash but at the moment I am doing work expereince and I just finsihed with it and I have myself a job about to get government assistance.

I will get paid more cash but all I need to do now is focus on getting my experience. anyone else have a goal or objective they would like to discuss??? goa head who cares just talk about it hear...

MOWEMJEFF LawnSite Senior Member

I'mll break the ice and go on a limb and say that english is your second language before someone else rips you for your spelling??....I need 24 more credits to get my associates in horticulture next spring and then 18 more to get my business management degree. I basically just plan on using that knowledge to operate my business. This year my goal is to establish a loyal customer base of over 50 regular service clients so I can get to a point where an employee or 2 becomes a necessity and I won't have to work 12 hour days anymore. Basically my goal is to be a millionaire by 30, hopefully through hard work and smart investments this will be attainable.:weightlifter:
  3. iand

iand LawnSite Senior Member

i like the way you can pass a horticulture exam but can't spell melbourne or australia
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

erm... A horticulturist has a Ph.D...
    Is basically a doctor in gardening :)

Not to knock schooling, I am sure even a semester without a degree or diploma would do wonders, but I thought I'd mention this before we get carried away with all the titles (again lol).

But to me, a true horticulturist is along the same lines as a lawyer, at the very least I would say they're way up there.
  5. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

Mowemjeff-I think you may be in the wrong profession if you plan to become a millionaire by 30. You may want to find a profession that's a necessity and not a luxury. Personally, I'm now working on my second million-I gave up on my first:weightlifter:
  6. johnnybravo8802

from Ga.

Mowemjeff-I want to add that your spelling and sentence structure is off in your first sentence-not an English major either, I presume?
  7. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

After near 3 years of hiking in the redwoods every few weeks, and reading The Wild Trees about Dr. Sillett from Humboldt's university, or Robert VanPelt from Washington, I think I'd go to college and study forests and canopy science - if I could start over again.

At least out here on the west coast, from California up to British Columbia, I'm guessing that there is room for expansion in forest research and study.

Involves horticulture, but can also involve tree climbing, hiking, camping and lab work.

Ur right i aint an inglish magor...as for a million by 30, its a goal. The way I see it you gotta set the bar high. I'm only 23, I have 7 years and a plan on how to reach it. And theres no penalty for coming up short.
  9. johnnybravo8802

from Ga.

Good luck. Hope to see you in the real world one day. Every 23 yr. old has those same goals, including me and then you find out that it takes a 4 yr. degree just to find a job and make enough to pay the bills. I waited until age 28 to get married, after my 6 yrs of college-I wanted to live my life first. Currently, I have a wife and two children and work fulltime at the hospital and mow on the side just to pay the bills-that's reality with most. I admire you for setting high goals, and I've always done the same, but in another 14 yrs, you'll see where I'm coming from. Good luck.:usflag:

I'm on pace to do over 80k in sales this year. My goal is to get that to 125k next year and hopefully maintain that. I'm also in the process of buying a 3 unit apartment building that I'm not even going to move into, I'll continue living at my parents renting out all 3, and renting out the large barn to my business. My uncle owns over 10million worth of real estate and is cosigning and putting 25% down for me to make this possible. My goal is to own 3-4 of these properties by 30. And who says you need a 4 year degree? My ex just graduated with a 4 year degree in education and shes going to be starting out at 35k/year.