what would you of charged

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Apr 8, 2004.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

cust has a yard but most is clay.. he wants to put down sod. yard is 5k. i figured i'd rodatile the yard. Add some tops soil. lay down the sod. and add starter.

2. jeff_0

from md

someone, please give me a idea of what they would charge.

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I don't do a lot of sod jobs but I would probably ask in the neighborhood of $5000.00

4. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

jeff, that depends on what you will be using, bobcat or all by hand, ect ect ect. give us some more info. its a blind bid on our part since we can't see the site, so some details would help ementsly.

5. jeff_0

from md

all by hand. i figured needs only about 2 yards of top soil at the most.

6. jeff_0

from md

also yard is mostly flat, just a small drainage ditch in front.

7. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Only 2 yards? That's seems like it would barely be a dusting on 5k. I was thinking along the lines of 10 yards (or more) and tilling it into the existing soil....... Like I said, I don't do a lot of sod but I did a 1700 sf job last fall and used about 4 yards on that.

8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

With prep and install,depending on your cost of the sod per 1K ft2, I would charge no less than .60-.80c per ft 2, plus sod. 5K is a lot of rototilling by hand, maybe sub out the prep / finish to a Bobcat and landscape rake/Harley rake. Is there anything growing in this yard now, or is it a new install? You have to factor that as well.

9. jeff_0

from md

it's a existing yard.. a mostly weeds and clay soil. 5k is a small section to do by hand i would think. I though about charging $1600. sod price $750 top soil less then $100. starter fert $10. add something for labor. most overhead cost $1000 $600 profit. about 6 hrs or work.

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

your kidding right?