1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What would you pay a guy????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, May 18, 2004.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a friend of mine approached me the other day about doing a little mowing for me if I got behind.. Well, because of the rain, daycare issues and my wife not done teaching until next week, I am finding myself behind this week... Anyway, he has offered to mow one of my cemeteries using his mower.. What would be a fair rate to pay him considering its his equipment???
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

More info. You really have to figure out how much to pay him based on many variables.
    What type of equipment does he have?
    What else is he going to do at the cemetery? trim all the stones, clean them with the blower?
    Are you on contract with the cemetery?
    Is he insured? Is he a LCO or just a guy wanting to work for cash?
    Who is gonna be responsible if his equipment breaks or if he breaks a stone?

Lots of questions but it seems that you are thinking of subcontracting it out. Its a write off but I'd be careful because of the potential problems that could arise.
  3. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

$19.95 less tax.....
  4. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

The guy knows what he is doing, his family owns a cemetery that he has mowed for a long time.. His family owns an LCO that him and his brothers have taken turns running while they all went thru college, he is now a high school teacher with some time off and looking to make a little extra cash..His mower is a 61" Exmark.. I trim the cemetery every other week, this would be a week that it does not need to be trimmed..
  5. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

He has experience and his own equipment? If I was him I'd ask for $40/hr. If hes your friend I'd just ask him what he thought was fair. If hes to high, tell him. If you think that hes too low tell him then too. I'd say some where around $15-$20/hr as long as you trust his ability to get the work done efficently. Or you could add how long it takes you and multiply by $XX/hr and offer him that for it.
  6. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

You're behind right? Pay him the full amount you would normally charge for the job. Service, service, service - do what it takes to keep your customers.
  7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe you could pay him a percentage of what you make on it, if he is doing the same exact job as you (ie. mowing, trimming, etc.) For instance, if you get $250 for the job, pay him $150 to 200 to do the same thing, since it is your job and essentially you'd be subbing it out to him. Also since he's your friend does he know what you actually make on it? If so, surely he'd feel good about doing it this way since he knows exactly how you are coming up with his fee and that your not trying to beat him out of cash.
    Also, if he would be covered by his family's LCO's insurance, you might be assumming less risk and could pay him on the higher side.
    This is how me and a friend of mine do it. He maintains on property that he gets $55 on. When I do it on ocassion, I do it for 40. Although that's less than my normal rate, it gives an extra property to do and a few extra bucks and works out great for both of us. He gets $15 for doing nothing and I get $40 for an hour's work.