1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what would you pay?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mike lane lawn care, Apr 18, 2006.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

me and a fellow landscaper are wondering something. his wife is having a baby this year, and he has asked me to take over his lawns for a week or two, we are trying to decide on what percentage i should make for mowing his client's yards.
    mike lane
  2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

that all depends on who's equipment it is that your using:confused:
  3. mike lane lawn care

i'm using my equipment.
  4. BigChaz

BigChaz LawnSite Member

If you're doing all the work, I wouldnt take less than 70%
  5. oasislawns

oasislawns LawnSite Member

Using your equipment, you should get 100%. I have done this with a buddy of mine. If you only take 70%, that leaves little room for profit.
  6. The Kiwi Lawn Ranger

The Kiwi Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

Your time and equipment 100% . Your time his equipment 70%
  7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

100% no less
  8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yea your doing him a favor..not the other way around..your keeping him from Loosing those customers by keeping his work up for him..100% for sure.If he thinks he can make money off you doing him a great big favor..he's not much of a freind..he's taking you for a little ride don't bend over for him.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

At 100% you're not being a really nice friend either, thou. However, you need to ride around and check out the prices with him on about 10 or 20 percent of his yards so as to make sure he didn't lowball more than a few. If the price is right, I would be saving myself 10 percent in advertising cost but I spend this money whether I'm busy enough or not, so 5 percent off to be a friend IF he priced them right for the most part, so 95 percent for you.

If he priced more than a few too low, that's too bad and I mean that's really too bad... I wouldn't even want to do them but maybe at 100 percent it might cover enough cost.
  10. mike lane lawn care

i talked to him today, but forgot to bring this up. his origanal idea was to pay me $20/hr, but i told him that he might loose money on that, but i should have not said anything. he has a ZTR and i use a tractor.