what would you say is worse for humans? 2-4-D or Glyphosphate?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by instyle, Sep 1, 2007.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

We can still buy 2-4-D based chemicals in Canada. Just out of curiousity which do you think is worse? How do you kill dandilions in the states if you can't use 2-4-D?

2. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Depends on who you believe, I think the smell 24d is worse.

3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

A recent study concluded again that 2,4D does not cause cancer. How is this a relevant question when 2,4D and Glyphosphate are two different types of pesticide? One being a general broad leaf and the other being a non-select.

Neither one is redistricted use as defined by federal regulations.

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

2-4D has not been banned at all in the US. (maybe in california, not sure) I too have seen at least one article that prooves that it does NOT cause cancer.

Overall NO chemical is "safe". As for which of the 2 I feel is safer. To me it's Glyphosate. I think that it seems safer because it has no scent. If it had a pungent odor I think more people would be "afraid" of it like they are 2-4D.

5. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Glyphosate is not a pesticide, it is a non-selective systemic herbicide...

6. maintenanceguy

maintenanceguy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Glyphosate:

for a very brief but thorough explination of glyphosate toxicity go here: http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/dienochlor-glyphosate/glyphosate-ext.html

for 2,4-D go here: http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/24d-captan/24d-ext.html

If you're just asking how much will kill you, the LD50 Rate (oral dosage that will kill 50% of rats in laboratory studies) is 5,600mg/kg of bodyweight for glyphosate and the LD50 rate of 2,4-D ranged from 375 to 666 mg/kg.

This means it takes much less 2,4-D to kill you if you eat it.

But you need to consider more than just how much you can eat before it kills you. Do they cause birth defects, cancer, how do they effect the environment? etc. The links above explain it all very simply.

7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

No. By federal defination it is a pesticide.

8. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

You probably have a better chance getting cancer from your computer or staring at your computer screen then 24d. IMO.

My grandma just turned 92 and smokes and drinks.

All hypochondriacs can go and live in california with the rest of the wierdo's. IMHO

9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Ooops, I just used mouthwash. Had salted frenchfries for lunch too. Glad I applied deorderant this morning. That foot powder really helped. Need to buy more acne medicine today. They're asphaulting my road today --- might get sick now. Gassed my car up -- smelled the fumes, and now I'm ???

10. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Good point that overall no chemical is "safe'!

I agree with Maintenanceguy on the LD50.

Odor tells you nothing about a product! Some products have an added odorant (ex. Gramoxone), but I wouldn't base anything on how it smells!