What would you say?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keegan, Nov 15, 2005.

1. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I did a one time fall clean up today for a job that I bidded on back in the summer. The lady told me to do it before Thanksgiving.
    A 1/2 hr after starting it the husband came out and paid me in full. The job took a little longer than I thought but that is besides the point.
    I just got a message from the wife saying that I should not have done the job yet because all of the leaves were not down and her husband should not have paid me and that I should not cash her check.
    Yes, there were some leaves still on the trees. If I waited for the last one to come down it would be after Turkey day not to mention leaves blow from one yard to the next. I get my neighbors leaves in my yard all the time.
    Do I go back when the leaves are down or tell her husband to do it?

thanks!

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

cha-ching, go to their bank and cash that thing tomorrow morning! you did the work, you deserve to be compensated.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Sure, you can go back in a week or two, but she has to be told that there will be an additional charge for any other leaves. Or you can mention to her that getting every leaf is probably not going to be possible because throughout the fall and into the winter, leaves from neighboring trees will still blow into her yard. Then suggest that she consider a small spring cleanup instead.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

good point Jodi. You should also note to the customer that if you don't do it now there is a chance that you might not be able to do it later because of weather

5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i got a couple one timers that want it done next week before thanksgiving. were only working monday and tuesday next week and regular customers come first. told them if they dont want them done this week, theres no guarantee that we'll get to them next week.

6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Its supposed to rain here every day for the next week (it rained today and I ended up going out at 4 to get one more cleanup done), I'm telling everyone, the jobs will get done when I choose due to the weather situation.

I'd tell her she wanted them done before Thanksgiving, they were done before thanksgiving and your booked until thanksgiving so she was lucky to get them done at all. Make the customer think your in high demand, they'll think they're special for even getting your service. It's working for me.

7. lawnsbyrj

lawnsbyrj LawnSite Member

CASH IT!
    that junk makes me mad. I try to only do stuff that they are rushing me to get done, hahah not on purpose. you are better than me I dont normally do those one time clean ups till like Dec when I am really broke and bored.