1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What would you use? A 34" phazer, or 32 36 w/b

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Jan 15, 2008.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 34" exmark phazer and was just wondering what everyone thought about the longevity and performance of the phazer vs. a tradional 32" 36" w/b. belts or hydro, floating or fixed. I really don't like fixed decks. What would last longer and be more productive to you? The phazer rider, or a w/b?
  2. Nature's Pro

Nature's Pro LawnSite Member

It depends of if you like walking or riding really, both will be productive. I don't know a lot about the phazers because we run the 60in exmarks. As far as belts or hydro for a walk behind definatly a hydro drive if you can afford it. And a fixed deck will leave a nicer cut. And I personaly prefer to ride so i would want the phazer.
  3. S man

I like riding also. But I wonder where the people who are die hard w/b fans are? I've heard some say a 48" ztr is a waste because a 48" belt drive fixed deck w/b is better.
  4. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

a 32 would be more productive to me because alot of my stuff has gates.. and you can pretty much go anywhere with a 32..and hills man oh man do i have some steep ass hills to get up to the front lawn.. some i sware are 60 degrees for 12 15 feet hahah.. but if your doing alot of open areas your rider vs a 48 walk behind is pretty much gonna be the same either way, productivity wise

figure your 34 prolly goes about 7.5 8mph
    and a 48 walkbehind ill do about 5.5 6 mph
  5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer to ride, so I'd have to go with the 34" Phazer !!
  6. S man

I had a 32" toro w/b. I liked it compared to the 21"s but didn't like the fixed deck for changing height. The rider is much more productive and comfortable. But I do know that 32" w/bs have their moment especially in tight spaces and steep hills and will last long with the simple belt drive and manual clutch.
  7. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

S man, keep the Phazer. I have a 36'' mini-z which is very similar to your mower and I love it. It is perfect for the 1/4-1/3 acre lawns I mow. If the Phazer's gettin the job done why fix what's not broke?
  8. S man

Oh I know. I love my rider, I was just seeing others opinions.
  9. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

When it is wet and soggy a Phazer 34 will rut when a 32 Metro won't but it is a great machine for level ground. I use both, but don't even think about taking a Phazer on ditch banks or hills because it does not have a pivoting front axle. Also it is narrow by its design specs and the operator brings the overall center of gravity up high. But it is a great machine for its designed purpose: gates.
  10. S man

You're right, the phazer is great for gated props and level ground. I will get a lazer hp for the bigger ones.