What would you use

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by RLI Electric, Feb 4, 2010.

1. RLI Electric

RLI Electric LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering if any of you have a better idea than an in ground mini well light? My client wants to light the address but we have that fluorescent coach to contend with. He was also wondering if there is such a thing as an LED backlight to go behind the numbers. I told him I had never seen such a thing but maybe some of you have some ideas.

Malcolms address.jpg

2. slimart01

slimart01 LawnSite Member

Check this out: address sign

I'm sure there are many others out there.

3. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

SPJ and some others make backlit Number signs. I would not be shining any light onto the existing numbers, it would not look very nice and you will have glare issues. Even an 8 degree narrow spot will spill light all over that wall.

4. RLI Electric

Thanks guys, the quandry is that they want to use THOSE stainless steel numbers. He has them attached with velcro now to play around with placement. I was wondering if there was a LED strip that the numbers would attach to and therefore the numbers would just be a dark spot on the lighted strip.

5. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Yes, you could purchase an LED light box and mount the numbers to the translucent front screen. However:

1- about $95 per sq foot
    2- not rated for outdoor use
    3- require a 24Vdc power supply
    4- no light control, having used these light panels recently, I can tell you the output would be too bright for the application. they are designed to have print media placed in front of them (photos, ads, etc)

I am sure they are special to the client and all, but ultimately they are just SS numbers. Perhaps you could have a fabricator incorporate them into a custom backlit LV sign? (bet that would be cheap, not!)

6. RLI Electric

Do they make it in solar? Just kidding, can't tell you how often I hear that.:rolleyes:

7. emby

emby LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  8. RLI Electric

Ken, I thought about Hunza first thing, the funny thing is I showed him some for another part of the yard a year ago and to this day he says "Nothing too expensive like Hunza" I really did laugh when I saw you reply with Hunza. I think the fixtures look awesome and machined really well. I was a machinist before I became an electrician so I can see the multiple process' in making a fixture like Hunza, Teka or HK. For what it's worth, they are not overpriced at all.

9. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

Bobby, I would demo a fixture above the numbers lamped with an MR16 before you go selling the Hunza DL for that application. I think it will wash the wall for sure but will not do much to highlight the numbers. The angle of attack from the lamp will be too oblique. You need to put light onto the face of the numbers or backlight them to make them stand out. Try the effect by holding a bullet above the numbers with an ESX lamp installed.

10. RLI Electric

Thanks for the tip James