What would you use?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Century Landscape, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Century Landscape

Century Landscape LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

I've got a customer wants a bid on removing quite a few shrubs, several of which are the size of small trees - we're talking about 6" in diameter on the main trunk at the base - and I'm wondering, how would you normally remove these?

I've got some experience removing these shrubs and moving stuff around, but nothing this big before. I currently don't have any heavy equipment, but will rent as necessary. I'm thinking maybe a mini excavator?? Any better suggestions?

Oh yeah, of course going to be putting more shrubs back in the same spot, so I'd like to get existing stuff pulled up roots and all. I have done some of this work with a shovel before, don't want to again!

Thanks

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Skid steer with a 4in1 bucket.

3. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have pulled out some hefty bushes with around a 4.5-6 inch diameter. I soaked the ground..dug out some dirt by hand and try to get a chain under and around the bush...then pull out with a 4*4 truck...wont work if roots are really deep though

4. Century Landscape

Thanks guys,

Does a skid steer give you more lifting power vs a mini excavator?

I like that the mini excavator would allow me to dig out if necessary

5. Strick

Strick LawnSite Member

I would go with the mini-ex also. It will be able to dig all the way around shrubs easier, especially if close to house or building.

6. Century Landscape

thanks for the input guys

7. greenchoppers

greenchoppers LawnSite Member

We have pulled azaleas, hawthornes, boxwoods and the like with the truck and a good chain. I have heard that pulling ligustrums is a very pain staking process and you need and excavator due to the amount of roots. Hope this helps.

PS: Dig around the base to loosen the dirt then pull with the truck. Good luck

8. Century Landscape

Yeah, I've got a 4x4 ford that might could get the job done, but man that yard would look like crap when I got done!

Do the mini excavators (like the small Bobcats) tear the yards up pretty bad? Obviously, wouldn't be doin' donuts with the zero turn excavator.

9. greenchoppers

greenchoppers LawnSite Member

It shouldn't tear up a dry yard too bad. You may want to lay down plywood or something and let the excavator walk on the plywood instead of on the turf. Perhaps, some of the other guys here who use excavators regularly can provide a better method.

We had like a 30-feet long chain. The truck stayed on the road. I know this isn't always feasible but it worked that time. We had to jerk the truck to pop the shrubs out of the ground but they usually give up fairly easily.

10. Green Feet Lawn

Green Feet Lawn LawnSite Member

NEVER use a chain. If it breaks or comes off, it will kill someone. A steel slingshot. We use a 4" wide nylon tow strap.