What would your dealer do for you?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Petr51488, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Well let's start with this...The throttle cable on my trimmer was on its last thread (noticed it last minute), so i brought my trimmer to the dealer in the morning to see if they could swap one out for me and i would be out. Boy was i wrong! I get there when they open, and ask if they had a throttle cable for this trimmer. Guy checks, they have one. I thought, hey no biggie, i wait maybe 30 minutes and they'll do it. I then ask if they could do it while I wait. One of the owners (long story) which happens to be a smart ass, tells me yea, i could do it now, and get it done yesterday. He pretty much looked at me and said are you crazy? We go back and forth how he has a lot of work, shows me the stack of papers yada yada yada. What the kicker was, was when he told me that when someone brings in a 5k tractor (no one around here has a tractor) he tries to work on them right away, but for an 80 repair, he won't do it. So thats pretty much a screw you, either leave it and wait a week, or take the throttle and do it yourself. I say its bullshit, we go back and forth and i end up buying a new trimmer for $350.00 just because they couldn't do the cable for me. Its not the fact that the dealer didn't have the cable, nor that i could have done it myself (never done it b4), or that i didn't have the time today to do it (full schedual) but the fact that i spent over 5,000 dollars at that place, and they wouldn't take the time to replace my cable. So, now that my rant is over, would your dealer do it for you if you were in a bind? or would they screw you over like mine did?

2. Petr51488

from NJ

I told the other owner (who was a mechanic at the same shop from the previous owner) that had i come in here when it was you and the other guy, you would have done it. He nods his head yes. Now when i go back, i'll explain to the A$$ that even though i'm only 20 years old, i know how to successfully run a business, and know what it takes to please a customer. This guy is so sarcastic, knows everything, and can never argue against. I asked him if the synthetic oil mix is any good. He tells me if you want to waste your money, i'll take it. Stihls used the same oil for many years, why change it? He doesn't know **** about power equipment (allways asks the mechanic), all he knows is about himself. I'm done.

3. Walker2

Walker2 LawnSite Member

I've been in line for 4 days on a backup FS 55 bike handle, they ignore the fact that I make money with my equipment, and many homeowners only need it on saturday afternoon anyways. Goin shindaiwa before too long.

Thanks,

4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Good rant and maybe so about being mad at the dealer. There either your friend or foe - kinda like a good banker! Don't know your past history with the guy - as in $$ or volume that you have purchased but for me when I spend 20K min, every year at the my dealer - they pretty much drop what there doing and get me back going. So it helps I think to be at my stage in the business but if I bought a sears trimmer and expected this guy to fix it now or within 30 minutes, I the dealer would say yes I can fix but it'll be 3 days from now.

5. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

My Everride dealer...bends over backwards for me...Stihl dealers..eh........I ain't gettin a loaner. They do their best, but it wouldn't have been a deal where it got done right then and there.

6. Petr51488

from NJ

Thanks for the post. I would by no means move away from the brand, just because of a dealer. My exmark dealer is also a stihl dealer, but they just dont have the selection the dealer i use now does. Another reason is that the other owner is a very nice guy, and knows how to run a business. But, from what i see, the other guy pretty much has him by the balls. I will tell him that. He needs to drop the other a-hole, and run this on his own. He would make a very nice business for himself by doing so. Money might have been a factor in this. I'll definitely talk to him though.

7. Petr51488

from NJ

Its not a sears trimmer lol. Every handheld tool i own is a stihl, and was bought there. I don't spend nearly 20k a year there, but i have bought EVERY stihl machine from him. This also includes oil, trimmer heads, line, glasses, chains, chains to get sharpened, hedge trimmer blades etc etc. The list goes on. The reason why i said 30 minutes was because thats how long he told me (the cool guy) it would take.

8. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

Most dealers around here service commercial before residential because they know how valuable our equipment is to our business. However, there have been times when I have had to tell someone right next door to a yard I was mowing that I was just too busy to mow their yard right then and there. I wouldn't expect them to stop what they are doing to fix your trimmer immediatly. Just my 2 cents

9. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Time to find a new dealer. I used the same guy for 5 years steady. I knew I could get parts cheaper online, but I try to support local business. He usually took good care of me. I had been dealing with him for 5 years prior to that with the company I worked for. Well last year he started selling heavy tractors and started being away more. He hired some jokers to run the shop. These guys give all dealers a bad name. I couldnt walk in there without them trying to sell me some POS homeowner product or whatever the distributer was pushing that month. I lost count of how many times I got home with my box of parts to find that a few were wrong.

Finally I got in touch with the owner and we had a long conversation about what has been going on. He was very nice and was really trying hard to keep my business, but I told him point blank that I wont return till he fixes his management issues. He fired one guy, but the others are still there. Last I heard nothing has changed. I found a new dealer, they treated me like gold for the first 2 months, weekly calls, surveys, etc. Well that has since faded as well. They are still better though. Its a shame my suppliers and dealers are starting to act like my employees were before they got fired. No one wants to work. I have a dumpster in my driveway that was supposed to be picked up 4 days ago. My skid steer was scheduled for on site maintenance on tuesday and they never showed. My plant guy says he'll call back in 2 hours and its more like 2 days. I cant get material delivered if its less than $400.

10. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Bottom line, I'm dealerless. I have no loyalty to any of them. They all seem to treat me the same, no matter how much I have spent there. Interestingly enough, they all seem to treat me better before I spend a dime with them than after I have dumped $10-15k.

I left a 10 day old Redmax TR2301S on the counter of a local dealer the other day. I was so disgusted with the trimmer and with them, I told them they could have it. $267 out of my pocket, good riddance.