What would your repsonse be?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PGA, Feb 24, 2006.

1. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Today I was out giving a few estimates for mowing and apps. The first house I went to was in pretty bad shape. The back was good but the front was covered in weeds and bare spots.

I took her through my chemical program and then gave her a price. She gasped and said my yearly program was $100.00 more then who she was using. I asked her who it was and she said Chemlawn! I looked at her and I looked at the grass ( or lack there of) and said

"You get what you pay for"

She wrote me a check 5 mins later!

A couple houses later was an estimate for mowing. I pulled up and could already tell there was still damage from last year on the lawn from the previous company not slowing down when they were turning. There was bald spots at the end of each stripe and a couple places where it was scalped.

I told the guy $35.00 a week to cut it and I got the same reaction. He said that was $10.00 more a week then what he had paying. I told him again

"You get what you pay for".

He laughed and signed up with me.

I had a guy try to talk me down on another estimate for a cleanup by $15.00! I told him I know what my overhead is and I know how much I need to make. He finally agreed to the price.

What do you guys say when people respsond to your prices if they are higher?
  2. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for your time............

In the words of Ty Webb.." I've got a thing"....lol:waving:
  3. PGA

You wouldnt try to make the sale?
  4. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

It depends how bad I want the buisness. I like the thought of walking away if I cannot make the sale, but that may not be the best thing to do. Lately, I just "store the info" for later use. For example, should I lose $5.00 per mowing, I make it up at $5.00 x (28) cuts, or $140.00 more for mulching / shrub trimming.

I get my $$$ in the end, or I walk.
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I would walk away.
  6. ICE

ICE LawnSite Member

Sounds to me as if you have a way to really hook'em and I would just continue using that! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

7. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

"Thats the best I can do"
  8. PGA

When I first started in business I would say

" Im sorry sir, I cant beat that" and walk off.

Now I have more confidence in myself and my work. I build my company up and give them a reason to want to hire me.

Going out and getting work is a challenge to me. Its almost like a buzz waiting for that "YES" to come out of there mouth.
  9. PGA

I totally agree. I dont give in on my prices. I know what I need to make.

I just love the thought of selling something for more then what they are paying currently.
  10. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I have also told folks you get what you pay for. There are some that you just can't get to understand the concept of keeping a business solvent and legal, and yet still make a living. To those I usually give them my card and let them know they may call me when and if they are ready to use our services. I saw one time on here another poster said " I'm sorry you can't afford our services" I would love to use that one and have been tempted to, but refrain in order to keep an open line of communication.