what wrong with ECHO hc1500 hedge shears

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Oct 22, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

maybe it just my machine but the mechanic I go to said they are famous for wanting to rip your hand from your wrist when trying to start this machine. Anyone else find this thing is harder to start than your other 2 cycle stuff?? if so, any idea why?? this thing literally injured my wrist this morning...you pull it and then it grabs and jolts your wrist/fingers....ouch plus a few other 4 letter words

2. lost mountain

lost mountain LawnSite Member

I have hc 1500 as a backup pair but when I used them more, I never noticed that kind of action

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I have had mine kick back before but never like you describe.

I bought mine as a return to home cheapo when I worked there and dollar for dollar, they are my most profitable piece of equipment.

GEO

4. GarPA

from PA

I remember the post here we had not long ago about all the people who hate ECHO stuff. Actually my ECHO equipment has been very good to me so I'm not an ECHO hater. I had this thing looked at by the dealer 2 years ago when I bought it and the mechanic there told me he frequently had them come back from commercial guys who had the same problem I;ve had. He said there was no cure for the problem as it seems to happen to certain ones and not to others....but its getting to the point where its not useable. Maybe someone else whos had the problem can shed some light on it.

5. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

yes it is hard to start,but it works great

6. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

Mine are the same way. Sometimes not too bad, other times i want to bust them all over the street. I won't buy another echo product. I have nothing but problem with dang near every piece I have.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

No problem here Gar...btw, what are you trimming this time of the year?

8. Logan's Landscaping

Logan's Landscaping LawnSite Member

I just bought a pair and i have never had so many problems getting a piece of equipment started . When the get going they work great.

9. GarPA

from PA

Rod...gold flame spirea...my own

ok you wrenchheads out there...since a number of us have this problem, why this machine?? cant imagine the engine is all that different than the others..something to do with the power transfer mechanism maybe?? I started a just about worn out trimmer and blower today that were cold and not run in 4 days(both Echo, and they started on the 2nd pull....and my fingers were still attached to my hand...they didnt fall off until I tried to start this beast

10. Curtis

Curtis LawnSite Member

I've got the same model hedge trimmer , and yes it does kick , I broke some white plastic piece in the recoil trying to start it when it was fairly new . I took the spark screen out to make it start sooner but still not easier . The compresion won't ease up until it's worn out.......