What wrong with this tree / fungus?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by shovelracer, May 28, 2008.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

My client has a variegated maple? The leaves are all browning at the tips. He has had an arborist out there already and they thought it was a fungus. I dont have a clue so here I am. Any suggestions. Oh and it is in zone5b, full sun location, irrigated lawn. Thanks

fungus 001.jpg

fungus 004.jpg

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Don't know. Details please: Are all leaves affected, (or only young leaves or old leaves?) Is it the same on the lower and upper leaves? East side? North side? One branch mainly? Any indication of winter injury, (this year or perevious years?) Trunk damage (cankers, string trimmer?) Any chemicals used to keep weeds out of bark? Bark piled too deep? Was there at least 6 inches of new growth last year? Any sprays applied to treat tree? Wet spot--drainage adequate?

3. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

any small webs on leafs or grubs in dirt?

4. shovelracer

No large grub infestations, he gets grub treatment as well. Entire tree is affected. Has been going on for 3 years. He prunes off dying branches. no trunk damage. As far as I know he hasnt treated it. No noticable infestations. Mulch is OK, but not sure on planted depth, but he has a pretty good clue. Small brown lesions about the size of a pin head on all small branches. Dead branches turn gray with black ring around base

5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Are complete leaders dying off? sounds like the arborist is right about fungal. Possible root rot?

6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Looks like salt burn to me. Is the irrigation system possibly from reclaimed water like a septic system? Most fungus makes quick work of trees here. My guess is the spots and rings are secondary problems. I would also check the planting depth, look for the root flare.

3 years and he is just getting around to diagnosing? :dizzy: Not much left in the ole starch tank for this puppy. Probably better to start over with a soil sample and a new tree at this point.

7. shovelracer

Yes entire leaders are dying, its not selective hear and there. It doesnt look like verticillium wilt. possible cure?

8. Az Gardener

If it has been in decline for 3 years it has probably about depleted all its stored starches and is not likely to recover at all.

If you insist, hit it with a fungicide and come back with some michorizae (sp) and other organics to bring the soil back to life. No ferts just compost teas and the like.

Check the planting depth # 1 cause of tree death.

9. shovelracer

Powdery mildew?

10. Az Gardener

No-no-no just because I need 10 characters to offer a post. Just one No would have sufficed.