What ya think??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Gatewayuser, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

I had someone call today that said they need some sort of a plant barrier to keep kids away from a 6ft drop off. No walls just plants.
    Wooded full shade. I was thinking maybe some white pines close together or maybe some winterberry hollys the house is for sale so it needs to have some winter appeal. I was also thinking of making it one big bed with good curves and I would put some gold junipers or some kind of ground cover in also. Here's something I did on paint. Is there any problems with it?

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you got a good plan going there. Wouldn't change a thing unless I could add something non-organic.
  3. Gatewayuser

Thanks, pretty good for paint.
    What part of cincy are you in?
  4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

White Pines and Juniper will not work in full shade. If you want evergreen, you need broad leafed evergreens such as rhododendron, holly (winterberry is deciduous), Andromeda, Mountain Laurel, etc,... Hydrangeas make a good choice for blooming in the shade for a long part of the year - also going to lose its leaves.
  5. Gatewayuser

I'm working on 2 one full shade and 1 part-full sun. I can't tell in the pics what it is but I will meet later this week with the customers. Thanks!
  6. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want to keep children away from the top of the wall, plant something with thorns or spiky foliage. White pines will grow up and make a great place to hang out underneath. As AGLA suggested, put the right plants in the right place, not just what you think might look cool. It your looking for a dense screen, white pines are ok if you maintain them and keep them sheared, but once they get large they open up. You have quite a few choices for screening and barrier plants that will perform in full sun and partial shade.