what you all dont understand!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob21, Feb 8, 2003.

1. bob21

bob21 LawnSite Member

the people that under bid you and just started out are going to fail and i say this to these people that (dont know how to sharpen blades change oil or put a nice line in the lawn and they dont know how to do anything. The differnt types of grass or fertilizer.
    yes they can get info off this site. yea it help alot for them so they dont make huge mistakes but they will still FAIL !!!!!!!!!!!
    and lose the account they got from you
    think how long it took you when you thought you new everything.
    this will fade it is a fad for all those starting out because of the money you have to have more then that to stay in it!

2. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

Having a bad day, or are you trying to say something, did someone take one of your accounts by underbidding and you want some reassurance that the lowlife will fail and the customer will come running back to you. My experience is, if a customer is willing to go to another operator based strictly on price (unless you are 50% or more higher), I don't want them, the low baller just did me a favor. As a general rule the people that will change based strictly on price will also complain the most and cause the most headaches for you. Not sure what your point is:confused: People wanting to start their own business is a passing fad? How do you know that because someone bids under what you have bid they are going to fail. Maybe their overhead is less, maybe the wife works and pays the insurance, maybe they just won the lottery and got nothing better to do with their time. I still believe that if information is shared we can improve the industry as a whole and eventually the non-LCO crowd with have more respect for our industry.

3. bob21

bob21 LawnSite Member

you understand me just fine thats what im getting acrossed
    you have to be in this because you love it and not for the money
    and yea you are also right about the acc you lose and yea it will help you out its not that im mad but that somebody post a thread about losing so much money and he is not in it because he loves the green industry thats all not pissed off im doing good.
    learning things every day.

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Everyone here will probably agree with you that even if you lead that horse to water you cannot make him drink -LOL!!

I think the benefit (even if your out bid as I have been this winter already) is that you have a better educated contractor. Afterall, I would much rather lose an account like I did by a $100/yr than to be under bid by $50/cut which was the lowest bidder.

If the company awarded the bid cannot complete her tenure as LMO then it would come to us and thats okay by me as it was neck in neck so to speak.

5. Ohhhh we know.

6. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

buddy i totally agree you either love this business or you just dont succeed .i have seen alot of guys jump into this business an hoping to strike it rich an yes it can be a very lucrative business. but you'll never succeed if you dont love what ya do . as with any business it takes time , dedication ,an loyalty to your customers to have any succesful business.as far as me an my company we eat,s@*t,an breath landscaping an lawn maintainence.we love what we do an are very proud to be apart of the green industry!!!

7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Here is what I understand about the mowing end of the lawn care business - I may be totally wrong, but just my observations.

1. Once you go beyond solo and hire helpers, the overhead skyrockets with workman's comp - liability, and all other insurance.

2. The worse scenerio is having one helper running the second mower (You now own two mowers) - Guess what you have twice as many breakdowns, and guess who has to take care of them - YOU - You are now spending more time heading for the dealer, and the hiree is out mowing, and I don't care who he is, he will not take the same care on your properties as you will. You spend twice the time not mowing.

3. I have posted before that I feel those that have multiple crews can justify the higher insurance etc involved with hiring people, but to just hire one or two may not pay over solo.

4. I have seen many posts "how much do you charge per hr." - You have to have the machines to do the job in an amount of time that will allow the customer to hire you - "If you mow a yard with a 21" push mower, there is no way you can charge $60 per hr." "If that yard in your area is mowed by most for $25, that is what you are going to get - a push mower may take an hr. and a 60" rider may take 10 minutes" it all comes from the consumer end

5. That means that as an LCO one has to figure out which machine will give him the most acres or sq. ft. per hr. for the least intitial cost. It is possible to make $120 per hr. @ $15 per acre in a solo operation with one machine and one operator that costs approx. $15-$17000. Yes. (Figure investment cost - hrly return ratios)

6. I am jealous of a lot on this site that have been able to gaggle a lot of yards in the same neighborhood - This has to help the bottom line. I do not have that opportunity

Thanks, Brad