1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What you charge?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bcowl, Dec 14, 2005.

1. bcowl

bcowl LawnSite Member

Hello, I am new to this site and would simple like your imput. In your business, what do you usually charge for your services? I would also like to know what area your business is in just for reference with your prices. I would appreciate any response! thank you
  2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on many things, what the customer wants me to do, how much mowing there is, trimming, frequency of mowing etc.
  3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we have a base labor rate of $35.00/hr for a base labor.. then we add for machines... mower.. truck.. weedeater.. etc..

we inclide nonmotorized hand tools in our base rate.

for anything specalized (design.. irrigation troubleshooting.. pesticide application...) we charge $65.00 per man hour.
  4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

45 bucks, lawns
  5. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

Im in Pittsburgh. For landscaping work I try and estimate how long I thought the job would take and how many man hours to do the job. I charge no less then $30 man/hr depending on how big the job is and what kind of feel I get from the customer. If I believe the customer will give more work Ill stick to the 30/hr mark. If get a bad vibe from them and think they're trying to be cheap, have an attitude, or feel I could care less if I get the job, I bid higher. I add material cost, and add a few dollars for equipment wear-n-tear and gas. For plants, mulch and other materials, I mark prices up a bit to cover any unexpected costs. Grass cutting I bid about the same way.
  6. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

Minimum $55 per hour, lawns. I get $65 on average. Some places are bigger and the clients a little cheap, but I cant complain.
    Labor is a minimum of $25 per hour for me. If I bid a job, I get $40 and up. I have some clients that have me work enough hours every year that $25 is the way to go else they couldn't afford it as easily. I just rack up the hours spent every month, and send them a bill. I am competing against many scrubs and large companies they are all between $16 and $30 per hour. I try to fall in the middle. Remember this is Illinois and the immigrants outnumber the Americans in my area.
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

OK Cowboy let me get this correctly.......
    You don't mow a lawn for less than $55.00 an hour but it usualy takes you more than an hour so you average $65.00 a mow job.
    But if you pull weeds to then it's $25.00 an hour.
    But if you bid a labor job then
    (not mowing say shoveling dirt or digging a ditch or cleaning an outhouse )
    you get $40.00 and up an hour.
    Right so far?
    BUT if you have a client that uses you more than a few hours a year..then you charge them $25.00 an hour instead of $40.00
    cuz if they used you more than a few hours a year they could not afford $40.00 an hour for your work.
    Is this a correct interpretation of your charges?
  8. The Ripper

The Ripper LawnSite Member

You guys make my head hurt.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Not sure why you do this. The more you work the less you make.
    I see this as saying that they can not pay you, so you work cheap, so you also can't pay anybody either.
  10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member