What your customers see.....your workers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by XOFMOT, Jul 8, 2001.

1. XOFMOT

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

here's a question: Do your customers give you FUNNY LOOKS when you show up to take care of thier property and most of your crew are..how do I say...of spanish influence?

2. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I have seen some funny looks in the "well-to-do" areas, but I don't see them doing anything about it if it's a problem. My wife is spanish, and a dang hard worker. We have had them work for us too and wow, almost worked me to death just trying to keep up. I wouldn't let it bother me. If they have a problem with it you will know, either they will tell you or drop your LCO. Just do your job, do it well, and it will never be an issue!

3. well seeing as how we are from the same area. i have 3 hispanic people who work for me now. one guy i have to fire, because he is kind of dumb. but he works hard. my other 2 people work great. my customers love them. i have had american people work for me before, and i find that there are too many problems with that, either they are into drugs, or they are just plain old lazy. i have one person who the customers dont mind, however he is into drugs. the other guy, my customers ask me to never bring him back. most people who i know start with american guys, get tired of the BS and switch to hispanic guys. try the american guys, then try the hispanic guys. there is a difference in productivity and BS levels.

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

The first day my mexican worked form me i got alot of smirks and comments from customers... "what is he working 2 dollars an hour?". I explained that he is the hardest worker ive ever had, always on time, works like there no tomorrow and catches on to new things in about 5 minutes! Alot of my customers think its great that i am employing a man that needs the money so bad for his 8 ;) kids back in mexico! all around he is working out great!

5. i pay my guys -
    angel- $ 15 per hour, i can take off for as long as i like, just tell him where to go and he can run things for a while, without problems, gets more people if i need them, etc. also speaks english

rosa- $12 per hour. she does weeding for me, does whatever i ask her to, prunes small shrubs in no time flat. she may not work the fastest, but she does great work

jose- $10 per hour. does all the grunt work, is not very bright, but just wants to work. so he can get women. i have him dig holes, move mulch, pick up garbage, etc.

6. Jason_S

Jason_S LawnSite Member

I match Angel, and I only make $9.00/HR! tIME for a RAISE!!!!!!

IF I were to leave, my boss would have some MAJOR PROBLEMS!!! He relies a lot on me!

Anyone think with this info that it is just for me to ask for a raise, and how much????

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't used any foreign labor as of yet. Its a hard call for me. I sometimes get calls and they ask what kind of helpers I have. "The last guy had mexicans. I don't want them on my property." But, at the same time, its my company, I should say who works. I probably would get more work from mexicans than anyone else. I just hired another guy. My last helper left on 4 hrs notice. Anyway, if this one doesn't work out, I'll probably give a mexican a try. I guess I need to brush up on my spanish. 2 years of high school and 2 years of college spanish and I still can't count past 10. haha.

8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

my wife is also spanish(mucho bonita). i have used spanish and mexican help and all in all, pound for pound, had better results with them. i did have a few customers say they dont want them on thier property, and i say what nerve they have! these people, like most of our ancestors, left their homeland, and their families, in search of a better life. they came to a strange country with almost no money in their pocket, got treated like crap, got the worst jobs for the least amount of money, and send most of it home to feed their kids. i had one guy who hadnt seen his son or wife for 4 years, he used to get tears in his eyes when he saw me play with my 3 year old. it takes more guts than i have to do this for your family. i also do believe i have lost jobs because i had a black man helping me out . oh well. a good worker is a good worker, period.

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

lets face it they are hungrier than the homegrownsand probably
    know a lot more about what a hard life is. i do sympathsize
    with the mill workers here in the south that have been booted to the curb.the good thing is that most that i know are getting
    schooling in a less manual fields.
    the only problem i see is ,do they feel loyal to this country
    or what ever country they come from.sure they may be loyal to both,but if you are here enjoying this great country and becoming a part of the melting pot, your U.S. SHOULD BE YOUR COUNTRY.
    THIS MAY NOT SEEM IMPORTANT NOW BUT MIGHT IN THE FUTURE.later now

10. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Isn't it sad that we can't even hire for our own companies without thinking of that few bunch of customers that don't want anything but americans or whites. We had an asian man work for us. Also very hard worker. He had a night job too and lived in a house with a bunch more. He said that he came to US to work hard only to save $50,000. With that money he could go back home, open a factory and live like a king. And he did just so. Point being, we all have some very hard workers and the color of your skin doesn't make you good bad or indifferent. I feel if my customers don't like my help then tough. It is my problem because I have to deal with them. We do our work and move on. But it does make you wonder, how did these narrow minded people make it so good? Hmmmm.......