What Your Doing!and What You Charge??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ELLC, Nov 16, 2003.

1. ELLC

ELLC LawnSite Member

Ok,
    I know this has been asked before but I would like some updated replys. I live in central new york and there are alot of undercutting dogs around here that don't have insurance and don't have $60,000 in equiptment(including truck). There is an aray of what guys are doing for spring cleanup and fall cleanup. And as far as doing lawns the price changes like the stock market. I know these will be longer replys but please share your input. What are you guys charging for these services and what do you do for the customer when it comes to spring and fall cleanups. I am thinking of splitting up my services to be able to bill seperately for the seperate services. I am just tired of busting my butt and fighting lowering my price so other scrubs don't get the work. Hopefully some guys from upstate NY will see this so the charges will be comperable. Any and all replys very welcome. This site is an awsome place to vent and get sound advise!!Thanks.:cool2:

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

What i do is work real hard for people with high end homes to make them look very well kept and to keep up the property values. I do charge top dollar for my services. So far no has coplained about prices, so griping, in the last 4 years. I am not from your area, so I am no help to you. I also have experienced the guy knocking on doors and low-pricing my accounts. Again, so far for 4 years I have not lost an account to someone knocking my company.

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I have had 'lowballers" knock on the doors of some of my current clients and offer their services at half of what I charge. I have never lost a client to a lowballer. This may be due to the fact that My current list of customers was built solely by referral.:cool:

4. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Where in NY are you?
    I'm in Dutchess county........ theres a few here from Westchester.....

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Locutus,
    Are you saying that lowballers and scrubs really don't affect a real business.Hmmmm.............I have to agree.

6. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

$80 per hour 2 man crew, plus dump fees and material, less and your out of business!

7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I've never lost a client (yet) to a lowballer, but i think people around here realize that low cost = low quality.

Before i found LS this spring, i admit i was a lowballer. i put out some flyers in a new development w/ about 100-125 houses. I offered a sign-up deal of "15% off whatever anyone else was charging" I didn't get one call from there, I'm glad i didn't now. it was a very low, dirty move on my part.

8. ELLC

ELLC LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replys so far but what are you doing for your customers for the spring cleanup and fall cleanup. Do you just do the leaves or do you clean out all flower beds, mulch beds, bushes. Do you airate lawns, rake, thatch, in the spring as part of you spring cleanup? These are the things I am curious to. I need to re-evaluate my services but I want to stick with a so called"industry standard". I wish there was a blue book for landscape and lawn care, it would make it a whole lot easier. I am thinking of starting a national certification board for lanscapers and lawncare guys to join and market that they work on national standards and quality controls and are accredited every two years to meet specific standards. This may help to get rid of the buzzards in about 10 yrs that are doing crappy work for low ballin money. Well i think I am done complaining again. I feel so much better!! wouldnt it be great if we could standardize the buizness to be able to all do great work and not have to worry about competing with anything but good, hardworking guys and ladies that are in the buisness to do right by themselves and their fellow lco's. Whow my soapbox was big tonight, I am begining to sound like my wife:dizzy: keep the replys comming.Thanks!! I live outside of Syracuse to the gentleman above.

9. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

1) Spring Cleanup: Cleaning up
    2) Fall Cleanup: Cleaning up
    3) Yes, that includes flower beds, mulch beds and shrubs
    4) Yes, offer aeration and de-thatching, rake or light till when necessary to loosen compacted soil. Usually as dditional services and quite often may be added to a Spring Cleanup.

I believe all the services you mentioned fall within the industry standard for maintenance. For more detailed information and a feel for pricing, do a search on any of those topics.

10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

bligh61 - $80 per hr. for 2 man crew - ???

Does the two man crew run 60"ZTR's mowing 3-6 acres per hr.???
    Does the two man crew run 21" push mowers .5-1 acre per hr.???

I just find it hard to understand how people can say "$80 per hr." when they do not explain how much they can mow.

I do not think your area is any different than mine. Around here a certain size yard brings a certain price. (Example - a double lot corner 120' x120' brings about $30) Now if I push it with a 21" in an hr. that is $30 per hr. If I mow it with a 9 1/2' mower in 6 minutes, that is $300 per hr. But the cost of the machinery, and the hourly overhead is different.

In Essence, the person's yard is worth so much to mow - makes no difference to them what you use of how long it takes. The customers and area dictate the going price for a nice job.

Yes, there are those that mow the corner lots around here for $20 and they are usually kids - and I do not begrudge them the opportunity to make a couple of bucks. They are not going to affect they total market that much.

Thanks, Brad