What your manual advise

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dhardin53, Dec 29, 2006.

1. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

And or what your procedure for engaing your elctric PTOs. Do you engage at 1. dle, 2. half throdle, 3. or full throdle?

What do you feel is better for extending life of the cluch and the belts?

2. FATWEASEL

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Half throttle which is enough to not bog the motor or cause excessive wear to the clutch/brake. 27hp/61"

:)

3. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

The sticker says 1/2 throttle on mine
    so thats what i do most of the time

4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

Most of the time I engage mine at half throttle or less...

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My manual says to engage at full throttle (Ferris 36) but I try to only do it at half throttle.

6. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

About 3/4 throttle if any less i can see the belt on the deck flop around like crazy which i dont think is good on the clutch or belt and idlers either . i also idle down some before turning pto off then let mower go thru a cool down cycle before turning it off ( about 2 mins i guess ) .

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep. If you want to save clutch wear, it's not so much the rpm's that it has when it is engaged, but when it is DISengaged that it wears on the brake and the air gap. Let it idle all the way down to an idle first, and slow all the way down - THEN disengage it. This will increase your clutches life greatly.

8. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

thanks guys, I get a lot of different opinions about this from the so called experts around here. But it seems the general consences here is the same as my opinin and experence.

I work on other guys machines and are all ways changing belts and cluchs. I ask then to not high RPM there mowers and help make the belts last. but they dont, so i change them for them repeately.They think it a bad mower.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It is also kinda important not to start the blades if the deck is sitting down in tall grass or is loaded up with grass.

10. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Half throttle under normal cutting. Almost full throttle if I am using the ultra vac on the lazer.