What your MPG?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Get Some..., May 31, 2012.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY LawnSite Senior Member

2010 Chevy 2500HD
    43k miles
    6.0 gas
    8-9mpg

2. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

2002 F250, 5.4 motor,auto trans,3.73 gearing
    9 mpg empty
    7.5-8 with trailer and mower

basically sucks

3. JDGlandscape

JDGlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like your 5.4 isnt running properly... There are lots of small things that can change that fact.. I have a lot of experience with the 5.4 and it should be getting better than that for mileage, definately when empty.

On mine i was in that area and I found I had a plugged cat converter, and the fuel pressure was low, hollowed out the converter and mileage went from 9 empty to 10.5, and then replaced the fuel regulator which was cheap and it went up to around 12 to 12.5 empty.

Another thing is the intake fuel rails get pretty dirty, at one point i had that cleaned and replaced spark plugs and it went up another mile per gallon.

and all of these things were done after my dealer told me it was perfectly fine and there was nothing wrong with it at all :hammerhead:

4. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

The spark plugs were done last year.I did get up to 14 mpg back in 06 on a trip to Colorado with pre-ethanol gas.I was getting around 12 then the 10% ethanol put me into the single digits.I have gone from the stock 235 tires up to 285 tires.I know that does not help.Wish I could get a tall skinny tire.Was thinking of getting the fuel injection sysytem cleaned.

5. agent walker

agent walker LawnSite Senior Member

1995 isuzu npr 5spd 4cyl turbo diesel , 325,000 miles, right around 13-14mpg

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

That's a lot of miles...hope I get that from ours.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. agent walker

agent walker LawnSite Senior Member

You can if you keep em well maintained... Should be good 4 400k plus
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Pressedun

Pressedun LawnSite Fanatic

2004 Chevy Silverado 3500 dump with 8.1L getting 6-7MPG and is almost always pulling a trailer or fully loaded with mulch or gravel... terrible I know.

9. TuffWork

TuffWork LawnSite Senior Member

pushed the avg clock in a few months ago on a 2009 GMC Sierra Z71 crew cab half ton with a trailer and got 11 mpg... boo

10. JDGlandscape

JDGlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Was every single one of those miles with the trailer? over a few months it would be changed quite a bit if you drove empty pretty often