what your nurserys carry...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mcwlandscaping, Jan 3, 2007.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

how do you know all of what your nurseries carry? For instance, when going to do a landscape design, do you have to keep calling the nursery to find out if they carry or can get a particular plant that you may want for that design? Do they give you a list at the beginning of the season of what they have acess to for that year? I just have a couple landscape designs i gotta get done since it's been so warm and i dont' want to keep calling weather or not they will have something or not.

2. i have one nursery that e-mails me their current inventory every week.
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I buy from a division of Northern Nurseries Inc..They give out a book listing their standard stocked items. The inventory changes almost daily. If you know what you need for an up-coming project, you need to buy it when you find it and stock it until you use it. Its almost a daily-weekly thing to visit the nursery for material. If you want a large quanity, you place an order and they pull it for you when they have the stock. There is a whole sale center in Barrington, NH., if thats anywhere near you.
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, you have to move quick to get what you want. The product comes and goes. I have a little note on my drawings that say substitutions will be made if something is not available at the time.

Mostly though I know what the nursery keeps in stock and at what times of year so I don't run into too much of a problem unless I want to do something really cool using odd (not the normal) plants. like Jacobs Ladder or Frosty Morn Sedum or Sky Pencil Holly.
  5. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I fing it impossible to use just one nursery for the reasons stated above. I have a primary nursery and then a secondary one that I use for odds and ends and things my primary doesn't have in stock.

But, with my nursey I can buy stuff a month or two ahead of time (well a deposit on them) and they will tag it for me. He doesn't care that he has to hold on to them and care for them. Kinda nice:)
  6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

thanks guys, definitely answers my questions...ive got a nursery that a member on here is going to show me soon that he really likes, so ill check out how they do things!
  7. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

I dont mean to be a jerk, So take this with a grain of salt. Shouldnt you already know this kind of stuff before you make agreements to do drawings and stuff? I mean it just sucks to be into something balls deep and realize its not going to work out the way you wanted. Answering your post, Most nurseries have a catalog or book they put out, design with what you can get and what you can substitute with from said nurseries.
  8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i have a few favorite plants we like to use but sometimes i know what plants i think would work in an area i go to our nursery and they guy helps me pick them out
  9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have 1 pretty big nursery that I deal with. If they don't have a plant I need, they can and will get it for me. They can get fertilizer and other plants/ plant materials as well.
  10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

There are a LOT of wholesale nurseries within a 25 mi. radius of where I live. In fact, I think we have more nurseries here than in any other part of the country.

The larger wholesale nurseries will print up a catalog once every year or so. And what's in their catalog is stuff that's almost always in stock. The nice thing is that even if it isn't in stock, you at least have the price handy. If it comes time to do the job and they don't have a particular plant or tree in stock, I just find it at another local wholesale nursery. And since these larger nurseries, who print the catalogs, are kind of at the higher end of the pricing tier, I can be fairly certain that if I do have to go buy it somewhere else, it will be the same price or lower.

The ones that don't do a formal catalog, print up regular "availability lists". Frequency varies from one nursery to another. Some print these lists up every week. Most do it every month or two. And some do it 4 times per year.

Still others send out digital availability lists (usually in the form of a MS Excel spreadsheet). Those are the ones I use most because I can find the plant or tree with just a few keystrokes. Very quick and easy to use. I love those and I tend to design and use plants from the nurseries who send these to me.