1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What zero turn is for me

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawnkid14, Jun 14, 2009.

1. lawnkid14

lawnkid14 LawnSite Member

Hey, im a young kid in 9th grade and for the past few years i have been using a push mower, but no i am looking at zero turns in my limited price budget of under $4,000. I was looking at the following mowers. JD z245, exmark quest, the husqarvana rz5424, and a cub cadet rtz 42. If you have any suggestions or maybe another mower that fits me just respond please. :rolleyes::confused:
  2. Cuttinitclose

Cuttinitclose LawnSite Bronze Member

Im partial to Deere and Exmark. If you like Deere the Z425 is $4000, a little more power than the Z245 I'd say. You can go wrong with Exmark either. You can also look at used equipment at dealers, but if your like me I'll spend the extra $ for new. How many accounts do you have and how big are they? That will help too.

I'm also looking for a mower in that range, 4-5k.
  3. lawnkid14

lawnkid14 LawnSite Member

i have about 10 a week but i play sports and golf so it gives me little time to work with. They are about 3/4 of an acre and i was also looking at a toro titan.
  4. mowerdude777

mowerdude777 LawnSite Silver Member

go with the exmark or toro both brands make high qualitly mowers
  5. a clear difference lawn

a clear difference lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hustler Sport. Under $4000 - much better deck than any of the others mentioned.
  6. TurfTrimmer 92

TurfTrimmer 92 LawnSite Member

Either Exmark, Toro, Scag, or Hustler. Nothing but.
  7. GreenAcresLandscaping

GreenAcresLandscaping LawnSite Member

The Hustler sport would work, so would the toro titan. I saw one at the dealership. Looks pretty good for a residential mower. Demo before you buy though.
  8. printer88

printer88 LawnSite Member

I just bought a Rz5424 form Husqvarna and so far it is great. it has a 24hp Kohler and a 54" deck. I only mow my 1.5 acres weekly so it should last a long time. Came with a 3 year warranty from my local dealer/service center and was only $2,900. Not really a heavy use machine but it does fine for me. It also climbs hills well.
  9. LoneToySoldier

LoneToySoldier LawnSite Member

The big thing is dealer support - get a great mower from a cruddy dealer and you're in for headaches. That being said, my Brother in law has an Exmark with 250 hours on it that just blew a hydro pump and my good friend with a dixie chopper just blew a wheel motor after blowing BOTH hydro pumps last year at 350 hours or so. There's good and bad in all of them, a good service department needs to be a consideration. BTW, I like Bobcat mowers :)