What ZTR are these?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by apples017, Nov 12, 2007.

1. apples017

apples017 LawnSite Member

2. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like an Encore Prowler and a Ferris IS Z...not sure which model.

3. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

They offer an environmentally friendly fuel conversion kit from "Gas to Propane"....saves the environment and saves you MONEY. Scroll down the page below to see the kit(s) for your machine. They claim it will save you $1900.00/yr. on fuel!

http://www.onyxsolutions.com/p.php?PID=envirogardConversions

4. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I want to learn how to convert grass clippings to bio-diesel!! I could put a recycle center in every community and the lawn guys could bring in their clippings for a rebate towards the cost of their fuel. They could fill up right there at the shop and even get their equipment worked on or get their mowers retrofitted with a bio-diesel motor. Sort of like a jiffy lube for lawn services. Imagine, a truly "green " industry. Now if I could just get someone with big bucks to back my idea HMMMM!!!!

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Id love to see how they got their claims of 1900 in saving each year. last time I checked propane was not cheap plus the fact you can't find it on every corner....so you would need to run to one place for your gas for your truck and trimmers, and then to another for your propane....plus you'd have to store the spare tanks....which would take up space on the trailer or in the garage...

6. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

I also think they should have provided some kind of documentation of how they came up with the number. But I don't think most of your points are valid. Although propane is not cheap, if it gets substantially better "gas mileage" than liquid fuel, you can still come out way ahead. When I did a search for places that sell propane in a 25 mile radius of Washington DC, I got 44 pages worth of businesses that sell it, and my regular gas cans take up space in my trailer or garage now. So I don't see what the difference is.

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

We could come back with steam power and burn the leaves and grass clippings...actually it may need to be refined to be smoke powered.

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I did a 10 mile search in the yellow pages for propane in my home zip code of 20191....20 companies. the closest propane in about a mile away, and there is now way I'm getting a truck/trailer in there to fill up...the closest site that has easy-in easy out is a rental yard about ten miles away...

I spoke with my rental guy...a 33lb propane tank will run a forklift for about 12 hours....40 bucks for a fill, and the tank purchase.....143 per tank.... so spare tanks will cost a bundle....or you wont have em....

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byfuel/BifuelLPG2002.shtml
    so over the course of a year with a truck you only saved a grand.....

The only good thing I see is the lowered emissions...I still see the propane as an expensive option, with the environment being the only benefit A worthy benefit mind you......But a headache in trying to get it filled, and maintained....How many engines guys are going to work on your propane powered mower?

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

And you can rest assured that a forklift is going to use ALOT less fuel than a mower.

10. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Good point. You'd have to find a place that has their certification from the Railroad commission/authorities.