What ZTR do I buy?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by rhyno77, Apr 5, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 19hp. No problems at any speed engaging the blades cold or hot.

2. Capemay Eagle

Now I was told by a dealer years ago that you should engage the blades at almost idle or a little above idle or low RPM's. He said that engaging the blades at high RPM's will destroy the clutch? BOTH OF MY HUSTLERS that I have owned will engage blades at almost "idle" position with a slightly cold engine. Now these are smaller decks 42" and smaller machines, but the BadBoy still had a smaller deck, with a much larger engine, I would have expected it to handle turning the blades over with no problem.

Also when I say "cold engine" I start everything I own and let it warm up pretty well before I use it, so it is not really a cold engine, just really not up to operating temperature. I am not talking about just starting the machine up and throwing the blades on and going. I usually let it run a few minutes and then go.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  3. Capemay Eagle

The question is, do you want to spend the money? Is the Vanguard a better engine? YES. The Briggs will last you many years. I have had lots of Briggs engines in mowers and tractors and they all faired well. I was going to buy a Scag Freedom Z with a 27hp Briggs ELS engine, but went with a smaller Hustler and got a 17hp Kohler single cylinder engine and it was solid for 3 years.

There is a dealer on here that sells BadBoys and he says that the Briggs engines are really doing well and he talks customers into the Briggs ELS. If you want to talk with him, his screen name is RetroDog. PM him and he can help you decide on a engine. Here is his contact info http://www.lawnsite.com/member.php?u=53955

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  4. Popeye77

Popeye77 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Weird,
    I would do what your manual says,I'm gonna email Snapper tomorrow. Must be using different type/design clutches. Certainly don't want to void warranty.

5. saw n mow

saw n mow LawnSite Senior Member

I've always engaged the blades at full throttle, but I'll see how the Briggs does at half throttle (for blade engagement only) the next time I mow.

A friend called me today to see if I would start mowing her daughters yard this year...more to mow and getting paid! I will have to 'reclaim' the yard (tall grass) for the first mow.

Kevin

6. saw n mow

saw n mow LawnSite Senior Member

I called BadBoy, told them which mower I had, and they said full throttle for blade engagement. I'll still try at half throttle for grins.

Kevin

7. XLHBD

XLHBD LawnSite Member

Engage at 1/2 throttle: Disengage at 1/3 throttle for maximum life. Disengaging is actually more important than engaging because the clutch has to stop the enertia of the blades.

8. willowick

willowick LawnSite Member

This is pretty much what my dealer told me for the Exmark I have. I engage at 1/2 throttle position, which is far less than 1/2 power in reality, and disengage by throwing it to idle and pushing the button just before it winds all the way down.

Here's a question for the gallery - I've always been told that running hydro pumps at less than full throttle (no blades engaged, just driving) is hard on them. Any truth to that? My Kubota G1800 never seemed to care but that thing was ridiculously overbuilt and I've got a feeling the trans was a little different than my Exmark.

9. Capemay Eagle

I find that hard to believe, I mean how do the hydro's know when the blades are on?? But really, how far is anyone really driving on their ZTR without the blades on?

10. willowick

willowick LawnSite Member

I don't think blades on or off matter, just not fully powering the hydros being hard on them. Sorry I wasn't clear.